Rebecca's Reviews > Awakening

Awakening by Catrina Burgess

May 29, 2014

bookshelves: rar, kindle-books-i-own, 2014, reviews-on-my-blog
Read from May 29 to June 02, 2014

**I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.**

This is one of the most action packed books I’ve read so far this summer, it was very much a fantastic read all round. It had everything a good paranormal book should have, action, lots of spooks and at least a little bit of a love story.

The main characters Colina and Luke, Colina is a girl with a horrifying past, that leaves her very much alone that is until she meets Luke and his sister Darla. They come together when Colina comes looking for someone who can teach her a new kind of magic so she can get revenge. Luke is a death dealer, who can help her get revenge he reluctantly agrees when he faces family trouble. Luke is a strong male character who means no show of hiding his feelings for Colina which in my opinion is a real breath of fresh air. As Luke begins to teach Colina the magic which he practices they are forced into the most unlikely situations bringing them together in the greatest of ways.

There were only a very few secondary characters and most of them were only present for a short period of time. Like Darla, Luke’s sister or Freddy who comes together in the final battle to help our duo kick ass.

The pacing was great offering twists and turns and then an epic final battle ending in a way which left us begging for more.

The story line was fantastically original- when I used to imagine learning magic I think Harry Potter not anymore. The dark and grizzly way this was portrayed has completely changed my view. As well as the absolute brilliant ending which means I will be buying the next one and the one after that, for as long as they are being written.

An absolutely brilliant book, I will recommend it to everyone I know and everyone I meet. A very solid 4 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awakening.

05/29/2014 marked as: to-read