J.R.'s Reviews > Robert Louis Stevenson

Robert Louis Stevenson by Ian Bell

Nov 25, 2007

bookshelves: biography-autobiography
Read in February, 2007

There have been many biographies of Robert Louis Stevenson. But, Ian Bell offers insight on aspects of the man and the writer missed or ignored by his contemporaries and those who chose to examine only one area of his life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robert Louis Stevenson.

01/30 marked as: read

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Have you read J.C. Furnas's bio of RLS. Curious how it compares with Bell's.

J.R. Tom wrote: "Have you read J.C. Furnas's bio of RLS. Curious how it compares with Bell's."

It's on my list. Haven't go to it yet. Have you read it?

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom No, I'm trying to decide which one to get. Bell looks the more promising based on what I've gleaned so far, though one RLS scholar says of F's "usually regarded as the standard bio ... "

J.R. 'Standard bio' can be good or boring, depending on the scholar. Guess we'll both have to wait and see. May be a while till I get at it. My TBR stack is threatening to tumble.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom I hear you, J.R.. I feel myself sliding into a La Fontaine jag, which includes Fumaroli bio, The Poet and the King, about his dicey relationship with Louis XIV. RLS running a close 2nd, though. Shoot, maybe I'll just do a comparative twofer and see what shakes out.

J.R. I've read a couple of Furnas' other books. But when I looked on Amazon couldn't find the one on RLS. Have to check ABE and other sources.