Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > Vanessa and Her Sister

Vanessa and Her Sister by Priya Parmar

liked it
bookshelves: read-2014
Recommended for: Fans of the Bloomsbury Group

In this book we get to know the people in Bloomsbury Group through Vanessa Stephen's (later Vanessa Bell) journal. This book also contains postcards and letter sent from various members of the group.

I can't say I was overly pleased with the journal approach of this book, and I was a bit confused why there were dialogs in the journal. I mean I haven't written a journal in years, but who writes dialog in it? It would have been just better to have this book written from Vanessa's point of view without the journal entries.

I read Vanessa and Virginia by Susan Sellers some years ago and loved that book so I was intrigued by the thought of reading another book about the sisters, but this book was not nearly as good in my opinion. But still, Vanessa and Her Sister weren't all that bad, if you are interested in Bloomsbury Group, in Vanessa's relationship with Virginia that you will probably find this book interesting to read. Also, even though I wasn't overjoyed about this book, I still liked it, and I especially liked the last part of the book, then the story really picked up. I would have loved to read more about Vanessa's relationship with Roger Fry and Virginia's marriage to Leonard instead there it ended. A bit of a letdown...

Vanessa and Virginia

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanessa and Her Sister.

May 29, 2014 – Shelved
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: wanted-needed
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: want-to-read-2015
September 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read-own
October 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read-netgalley
December 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read-netgalley-edelweiss
December 15, 2014 – Started Reading
December 15, 2014 –
20.0% "The thing is this book isn't that hard to read, it's just not that interesting. I'm reading it but I just don't really care about the story. It's just words put together and even though I don't get bored reading it...I don't get interested either...it's just meh!"
December 16, 2014 –
30.0% "Still meh!"
December 19, 2014 –
52.0% "When one has a sister as extraordinary as Virginia, one must put up with a fair amount of inconvenience.\n Extraordinary? Try pain in the ass..."
December 20, 2014 –
90.0% "Will finish this book tonight. Liking it better than I thought I would, but it still not a great book."
December 20, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
December 20, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

April I agree. The dialogue within the journal entries felt disconnected from the epistolary format of the book.

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 2 stars

Deb Troyanos I was very disappointed in the ending. Felt cut off just as it was getting good. Seems lazy that the author just summarized all of the really juicy things that happened after her narrative ended! Why leave out the rest of the story instead of 3/4 through it? I was expecting the book to be more complete. Instead it led us down one path, ended the book, and then the author tells us it all turned out quite differently. Gah! I'm frustrated!