Sophie's Reviews > Ghostwritten

Ghostwritten by Isabel Wolff

bookshelves: print-books

Review also posted on my blog http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

Ghostwritten is a stunner of a book. Nothing like any book I’ve read before, I thought the setting and characters were beautifully written and this made it a mesmerising novel. Ghostwritten is haunting, moving and a wonderful read.

Jenni is a ghostwriter, with a new commission to work on the memoirs of Klara. Klara is a strong woman, one who has survived the Japanese internment camps during World War Two. Jenni was unaware at the time that Klara’s life would take her to Polvarth – a place she never wanted to return to, but what unfolds is a beautiful journey with the intrigue of an untold secret and the emotion from Klara’s heart-wrenching tales.

Jenni and Klara are two of the strongest characters I’ve ever read. Klara in particular is one who will stay with me for a long time. Her story was very emotional and did move me to tears a few times. She’s also a character who was so brave and told such a powerful story, I felt like I could actually learn from her experiences and take strength from her. Jenni’s story was more mysterious and I was rooting for her to be impacted by Klara’s story, to be able to open up and overcome the obstacles she needed to in order to live her life.

This is a hard review to write because really you just need to follow the touching, fascinating story so you can get it and see the beauty in the author’s writing. The pace allows the reader to immerse themselves in the extraordinarily poignant story perfectly. There was never a moment for me that I didn’t feel something, that I felt it was uninteresting or I couldn’t take anything from the novel. Ghostwritten is truly beautiful and unforgettable.

5/5.

*Book gifted for honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghostwritten.

Started Reading