Alisha's Reviews > A Knot of Trolls

A Knot of Trolls by J.M. Ney-Grimm

May 29, 2014

bookshelves: first-reads

*3.5 stars*

A Knot of Trolls is a collection of seven tales that span the history of the North-lands from ancient times to the present. Entwined in each fairytale like story are subtle moral lessons. In this Norse fantasy world, spellcasters that reach too greedily and boldly for more power are inflicted with a disease that slowly transforms them into trolls, grotesque insane creatures with powerful magic. From the first spellcasters that become inflicted to the present day where 2 young sisters stumble upon a cure, these tales detail the history of this Troll disease.

I don't read a ton of high fantasy so I was a little apprehensive to start reading this book. However, I found these stories to be a fun and interesting read. Ney-Grimm has created a fascinating new world rich with details and memorable characters. Very well written, Ney-Grimm paints a vivid world full of magic.

One drawback of this book was that it could get a little confusing regarding the language and time frame of events . Since this was set in another world, there were quite a few unfamiliar terms and I think it would have been beneficial to the reader to include a broader dictionary in the back of the book to help lessen the confusion. While I was able to figure out meanings it would have made the reading smoother to have a page to turn to for unfamiliar terms.

Overall, A Knot of Trolls was an interesting read. I was glad to be introduced to this author and I'm looking forward to reading a full length novel based in this fascinating Norse fantasy world.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Knot of Trolls.

Finished Reading