Kati's Reviews > His Beautiful Samurai

Nov 25, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks, 2007, in-english, queer, mystery, romance-para
Read in December, 2007

To be honest, I have no idea what to think about this book. It was well written with no grammar or spelling mistakes and the mystery was interesting. But...!

There are three things that make me feel quite meh! about the book:

a) Everybody is way too gentle and kind and beautiful and understanding. It's too over the top and unrealistic. There is no real conflict. All the emotions are described, not felt. The author doesn't make you feel for the characters.

b) Everybody immediately accepts that the crime was committed by a ghost and nobody questions it. If it was set in a world where ghosts and other supernatural beings are known and accepted, I would have understood that but as it is, it just doesn't make sense.

c) The author tries to write Japanese but some of the words are messed up. I studied Japanese for 3 years and I'm still no expert but even I do know that it's "arigato" and not "aurigato". It reminds me a lot of fanfiction written in anime fandoms where the authors try to show their intelligence by filling the story with Japanese words they don't understand.

Overall, not bad but in the end result, nothing special either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Beautiful Samurai.