Rashika (is tired)'s Reviews > On the Fence

On the Fence by Kasie West

I am a party-pooper. Although a sad one since I am somewhat sad I didn’t enjoy this. There is quite a bit of hype surrounding this book and all my friends who have read it so far have loved it so I feel like a complete buzz kill with my ‘hating’.

On the Fence, quite frankly, sucked. I went in expecting a friends-to-more romance and got something else.

For starters, I did NOT like the main character. I was cringing the whole time I was reading this book and was not the least bit amused. I think what bothered me the most was this whole normal girl vs not normal girl thing going on. I get that teenagers go through a phase where they aren’t sure of themselves, I went through it too but the whole changing yourself to fit in storylines have never worked for me. Perhaps it’s my fault but if I had known this book had a storyline that revolved around the character trying to change herself, I probably wouldn’t have read it.

My problem with this whole thing is that it seems to say that there is a ‘right’ way to be a female but there isn’t! Femininity isn’t defined by whether you are girly or not! I am neither girly nor a tom boy but I am no less female then other girls out there. I think what made this worse was that Charlie seemed to be the only ‘tom boy’ in this book. She was surrounded by girly girls who only seemed to care about make-up. The stereotypes started getting to me and I ended up being so annoyed. Plus I never understood why Charlie felt this need to hide things from her family. Why was she so embarrassed if that’s what she wanted to be? Didn't she understand that her family would love her no matter what? I mean seeing that she is such a 'family' person... I kind of expected more from her.

It didn’t end there though. The romance bothered the living daylights out of me. WHERE WAS THE SWOON I WAS PROMISED? Braden and Charlie’s romance is basically non-existent. It seems like one moment she thinks of him as a brother and the next he isn’t a brother to her. Did she have a crush on him before the book started? I have no idea because it was never said (or I missed it).

When the ‘other’ dude is brought into the picture things become even more awkward with Charlie sticking her head in the sand. She doesn't see that there is a reason why Braden does NOT like the dude while her brothers don’t mind him nearly as much. I never actually sensed sparks between them and while they didn’t lack chemistry, things seemed too rushed in the end. The L word popped out of nowhere. And I do say nowhere. Just because they have known each other forever doesn’t mean that they can pop out the L word and it won’t seem random.

The only redeeming factor for me is Charlie’s family. Her dad is a sweet heart and I cannot imagine how hard things must be for him. Her brothers are also incredible and so fun to read about!

I guess one could also fault the length of the book in this case because it did seem quite short in the end. It’s not a short book by any means but it did seem a little rushed. Things started getting good about 80% into the novel but just as I was starting to like it, I was drowned in a bucket of cheese and that ultimately killed the book for me. I only felt relief when I finished this book.

With all that said though, I do want to read The Distance Between Us because I think it might be more enjoyable for me as a reader and if not that, Pivot Point. I am not ready to give up on the author yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Fence.

May 28, 2014 – Shelved
May 28, 2014 – Shelved as: to-be-published
May 28, 2014 – Shelved as: up-next
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: e-arcs
June 26, 2014 – Started Reading
June 26, 2014 –
0.0% "This better be as good as everyone says it is!"
June 26, 2014 –
36.0% "I am extremely bothered by the whole normal girl vs. not normal girl thing going on here.\n \n It's bothering the living daylights out of me."
June 26, 2014 –
45.0% "Even the guys in my class can answer that question..\n ughhhhhh\n \n So much stereotyping.\n \n I feel like such a party pooper right now since everyone loves this.\n \n I feel like The Distance Between Us would work out better for me though *sigh*"
June 26, 2014 –
69.0% "How I wish I had play-doh right now.\n I need play-doh. I need it to help me get through this."
June 26, 2014 –
81.0% "OMG\n I am almost done\n I AM ALMOST DONE\n \n (sorry party pooper here)"
June 26, 2014 –
91.0% "And NOW all the good stuff comes... why did I have to wait so long?"
June 26, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 27, 2014 – Shelved as: ya
June 27, 2014 – Shelved as: realistic-contemporary
June 27, 2014 – Shelved as: good-secondary-characters
June 27, 2014 – Shelved as: everyone-loved-but-me

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Dre (new)

Dre WOW, really? I was actually looking forward to reading this.

AnHeC the Paperback Obliterator Mm, chees, the kind that blocks your brain arteries...

Rashika (is tired) @Dre you'll probably like it more than I did .-.
I think everyone will

@Anna your comment sounds like a good start for a great rap :P
LOL

Shell The Belle Aww heck - the blurb sounds so good too. Never mind onto the next hun :) :) :)

Rashika (is tired) I am just a party pooper :P
don't you mind me
Most people will probably love this .-.

message 6: by E. (new) - added it

E. Mellyberry I was like 30-40% into this before I stopped. kinda bored, but I might continue someday.
Nice, honest review :)

message 7: by TL (new)

TL excellent review hun, sorry you didn't enjoy the book *hugs*

Rashika (is tired) @E. Mellyberry if you were bored until then, it really doesn't get any better imo *sigh* :/

@TL Thanks! I wish I had enjoyed it more :(

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim Fortin "My problem with this whole thing is that it seems to say that there is a ‘right’ way to be a female but there isn’t! Femininity isn’t defined by whether you are girly or not! I am neither girly nor a tom boy but I am no less female then other girls out there. I think what made this worse was that Charlie seemed to be the only ‘tom boy’ in this book. She was surrounded by girly girls who only seemed to care about make-up. The stereotypes started getting to me and I ended up being so annoyed."

Thanks for saving me the trouble of reading this. Too bad the sexist description ("But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything.") sounds exactly like how the book turned out (i.e. the outmoded idea of "tomboy" vs. girls just being themselves). Sigh. Can we effing evolve already? These tired gender roles are ridiculous.

Rashika (is tired) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I seem to be the only one who had a huge problem with this and in all honesty I am tired of seeing the 'tom boy who doesn't know a thing about being a girl' trope. Please stop telling me that there is a right way to being a girl.

I will say that it all depends on the reader's opinion but for me, I just felt like this book really did reinforce certain gender roles. I mean it is about Charlie growing as a person but a lot of that growth occurs when she steps out of her 'tom boy' role. BLEH.

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Register I've read all of Kasie West's books...this was my least favorite. The first one I read was The Distance Between Us. I personally loved it. I just barely finished Pivot Point and Split Second. I liked them a lot. I would say, don't judge West by this particular book.

Rashika (is tired) That's reassuring! :)

I have Pivot Point and an ebook for The Distance Between Us so whenever I get around to reading them, I do hope I'll enjoy them a whole lot more! :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Preach. Preach preach preach PREACH!

Rashika (is tired) *high fives you*