Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > Shade

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Mar 20, 2010

bookshelves: for-review, favorites
Read in May, 2011

A unique ghost story filled with realistic characters and environments, Shade is astounding.

Aura is one of the more realistic characters I've come across in the past year, to the point where I can even see a few of the people I know actually sharing a lot of her qualities. She's easy to relate with, and she has an amusing sense of humor (a bit more on the passive, sarcastic side). The love interests (Zachary and Logan) are both great in different ways, but by the end I preferred one over the other.

Shade is one of those novels where I think I know exactly what will happen, but then I find myself surprised halfway through. I think a lot of readers can find something to enjoy in Shade.

Highlights: The best compliment I could pay this novel and it's author is the realism. Aura is very realistic, she could have been someone I knew back in high school. Not only that, but I can honestly see her way of life (with ghosts) being completely normal. The ending was incredible, and not what I was expecting. The sequel, Shift, is bound to be just as amazing.

Lowlights: There were a few moments that seemed a bit slow, but I still thoroughly enjoyed this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shade.