Lisa (Bookworm Lisa)'s Reviews > Goddess Born

Goddess Born by Kari Edgren

bookshelves: 2014, clean-read, historical-fiction, mythology, received-to-review, romance

I really like the genre of mixing mythology with modern day. This book took a different turn. It took another favorite genre of mine, Historical Fiction, and added the mythology. It was a great mix for me! I enjoyed reading this book.

Selah is a descendant of the Goddess Brigid. She has the gift of healing. She can see in her mind what is ailing her patient and then use her powers to fix the problem. She is bound to help anyone who asks for her help. The good thing, is that she likes to help others. This makes her gift something she treasures, rather than a burden.

The book is set in the early 18th century. Selah lives among the Quaker's and a preacher misunderstand her gift, threatening that if she doesn't marry him, he will expose her for witchcraft. A very serious charge during the time period. Fortunately for her, she puts him off because she is betrothed to her cousin. She must marry a relative who she doesn't have to hide her gift from.

The world seems to conspire against her. As her father lies dying, she travels to pick up her fiancee, only to find that he died on the voyage from Ireland to the Colonies. In a desperate measure she purchases the contract of an Indentured Servant, and has him pose as her cousin. She has a fake wedding and travels back to her home.

I wish I could say that her trials and accusers disappear, but that would be too easy and make for a book that wasn't as interesting. I enjoyed the many layers of plot that were laid. There were many people who could the villain in this book. When it looked as if I had it figured out, another person seemed to have a motive. The book keeps you guessing.

I loved the story of Selah and Henry. They are both put in a difficult situation, but come to a stormy peace for their circumstances. They both seem to be content, but both have fragile feelings for each other, they are easily hurt by a wrong action or word. They are fiercely loyal to each other, which is the glue that holds them together.

This book is a clean New Adult. There is sexual innuendo, but that is as far as it goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess Born.

May 27, 2014 – Started Reading