Sophie's Reviews > Going Back

Going Back by Rachael English

Review also posted on my blog http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

Going Back is the tale of Elizabeth, who having spent a short while in Boston with her college friends when she was younger, returns back there several years later to be faced with a certain charmer from her past. This was a nostalgic, romantic novel – an impressive debut from Rachael English.

Whilst the prologue instantly drew me in, the actual story felt more of a slowburner. As we go back in time to learn about Elizabeth’s time in Boston - her issues with Orla, her growing feelings for Danny – it took me a little while to get into the story and to connect with the characters.

When the plot became more captivating, there was a lot to like about Going Back. I loved seeing Elizabeth’s character grow and change to become less reserved and more outgoing. I enjoyed the humour laced into the plot and the Irish traits used in Boston – the language and the pronunciation from Elizabeth’s side was so different to the US way which brought a wonderful, cultural feel to the book. As the book went on, I was falling for Elizabeth and Danny’s relationship as much as they were falling for each other and then the book moved forward in time.

I loved the concept of Going Back. The second part of the book was different to the first in that whilst romance was still a part of it, it was more grown up rather than the whirlwind, drama filled romance from the younger years. I loved seeing how all the characters were placed years on and how life had changed.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from Going Back but the author has written an enchanting outlook on how life changes over the years and things don’t always turn out how you expect them to. It’s a book that makes you think about your own life and dreams – an enjoyable, thought-provoking novel perfect for a night-in reading and something to discuss with your friends and family.

4/5.

*Book gifted for honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Back.

Started Reading