Regina's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Regina Liked

December 30, 2010 –
page 130
December 31, 2010 –
page 200
23.95% "I can't believe I haven't read this before. I am loving it, despite the painful stuff that has happened to some side characters so far."
December 31, 2010 – Shelved as: owned-kindle
December 31, 2010 – Shelved as: 2011-reads
December 31, 2010 –
25.0% "Jon's life on the wall is making me sad."
January 1, 2011 –
30.0% "Poor Jon and Anya. I have a guess who Jon's mother is, I hope we find out soon."
January 2, 2011 –
January 2, 2011 –
40.0% "Was it the Imp or Littlsfinger?"
January 3, 2011 –
45.0% "I know Ned is honorable but does it make sense to provoke Jamie when he is backed by an army of men and Ned is only with one knight? Poor Ned." (Other Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 4, 2011 –
55.0% "Okay, I like the Imp. I just can't see him doing what he is accused of ... I see Catelyn and Tyrion joining forces on the way from the Eyrie, but I could be wrong!"
January 4, 2011 –
56.0% "The sky dungeons are beyond scary, what a nightmare!"
January 4, 2011 –
65.0% "Sansa is not very likable." (Other Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 4, 2011 –
65.0% "Sansa is not very likable."
January 5, 2011 –
January 7, 2011 –
January 8, 2011 –
68.0% "One day I would stop taking my clothes off in V'lane's presence, but the cost of that resistance would be a piece of my soul."
January 8, 2011 –
90.0% "Come on Jon -- leave the wall!"
January 10, 2011 –
85.0% "The battle told from Catelyn's point of view was amazing. I seriously had goosebumps. The prep for the battle, Robb getting dressed, the men protecting Catelyn and Robb. he image of the Kingslayer at the bottom of the hill and then he disapears back into the woods. And then the bringing of the Kingslayer back as hostage and the details of how he fought until his capture. Chilling! Brilliantly done!"
January 10, 2011 –
85.0% "And then poor Khal Drago! I had thought I was liking the Dothraki, but after the last battle (and their rape and pillaging that Dany witnesses) and what will happen to Dany and her baby once Khal dies, not very nice."
January 10, 2011 –
88.0% "Eddard is dead?!!!!"
January 10, 2011 – Finished Reading

Jessica One of my favorite series EVER! I have such a love/hate relationship with GRRM...

Regina Why a love/hate relationship?

I am very excited to start this. Everyone seems to rate it so highly!

Jessica Love because he's such a fantastic storyteller. He has me absolutely hating what happens in the book but loving the way it is told. Hate because he is taking for-e-ver with this latest book. The story got away from him so much he split it into two books. It's killing me waiting for it!

Regina Lol! That makes me very excited to start!

message 5: by Laura Lulu (last edited Dec 29, 2010 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Lulu Jessica wrote: "One of my favorite series EVER! I have such a love/hate relationship with GRRM..."

Ditto & Ditto. I'm so jealous you're just starting these Regina. Like Jessica said, GRRM is a wonderful storyteller, and his characters are just insanely wonderful--so REAL. One of my fave characters was actually one I (and everyone else) hated in the 1st few books, and now I love him. None are just black & white, and those are the best kind of characters.

Although I'm sure I'll be rereading once a release date comes out for Dragons, but who knows when that will be. And that is why GRRM is on my shit list. Big time.

Did you know HBO is doing a show on it, starting this spring? Soooooo excited. Search the internet and you can see all the actors so you have them in your head from the get go, and are not disappointed when someone doesn't look at all like you pictured in your head. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) You started this one. Good for you. I intend to read this before the HBO show starts.

Regina Laura thank you for the info about the HBO series it looks very good. I am glad I found out about this before I started watching the show. I keep hearing that people are envious I am just starting, so it must be a good one. I am only aout 60 pages in (out of a 700 page book!!!) and it is really good. The first chapter was scary and I love to start off with a bang. The next chapter and the description of the dethroned family is very sad, but I want to keep reading. I am glad that I have alot to read before I have to worry about the next release.

Lady Danielle it is very good. I love big fat fantasy books with lots of details that I can sink my teeth into and this seems like just the book for me.

Laura Lulu What's the first chapter? I remember the Stark's & the dire wolves as the start of the book, but that must be the 2nd chapter.

Wait. I remember the 1st chapter. That's when those dudes are north of the wall. Yes, scary. :)

Regina yessss! Very scary and the poor freaky guy with frostibitten ears.

I am at the part where the dethroned king wannabe is trying to sell/whore out his poor little 13 year old sister. :( Very sad stories. But I am hooked. I have a twitchy kindle/amazon finger. Right now I am reading these downloaded on my nook from the library, but am very tempted to buy them from amazon to read on my kindle. I must control myself.

Laura Lulu Ooh...Daenerys. You're making me want to read them again right now.

Will not reread Ice & Fire until Dragons has a release date...

Regina That is exactly how I feel about several series right now (for example the Outlander series, I won't let myself read Echo or do a re-read until Gabaldon gives us a solid release date with a title AND that date is only 6 months away).

Laura Lulu Oh. Echo. Don't remind me. One of my fave series, but after reading Echo, I feel she should wrap it up. And soon. Call me crazy, but I don't have much interest in Bri & Roger, and zero in Lord John. And I'm starting to get creeped out by Jamie & Claire's sexcapades--LOVED it before, but they're older than my mom now. Seriously grody. ;)

Regina too funny. I didnt' read it b/c I kinda hit a wall. I read the first in a period of 6 weeks and just couldn't go on. I do not like Roger and Bri much, so if the story is focusing on them, not interested. Eek -- parental sexcapades! Not interested. :)

Regina So i am loving this so much I just bought it for my Kindle and #2 too.

Jessica Yay! Like most books I reread, I have all the books in hardcover and audio ;)Of course, after all of this talk, I loaded them up on my iPhone.

Regina I know I will end up buying the hardcover too. I want my husband to read these. How is the audio?

Jessica The audio is... ok. Not my favorite readers. I like John Lee reading the 4th book but I'm mixed bag on Roy Dotrice reading the first 3. Some of the voices are fantastic but others really make me cringe. I heard he was cast in the HBO series so that will be interesting to see/hear. I've listened to the first book by another reader (another Roy.. forget his last name) and he was just ok. I think I've been spoiled by Jim Dale and all other male readers just can't live up to that bar. I like John Lee enough that I wish he'd go back and read the first 3 so I can have some continuity.

Regina I hear you, I am a huge audio book fan so I am spoiled too. I was thinking about what you posted above buying the ebook and the regular book and audio book. I really think JK Rowling is missing out on sales and encouraging piracy. If her books were available for audio download and in legitimate ebook formats, I would buy all 7 immediately.

message 19: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jan 01, 2011 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Lulu If your hubby's a fantasy reader, definitely have him read these. I originally got the rec from my younger brother, who's always been a fantasy reader. Then we talked about them so much that we got my middle brother reading them, and I would get texts throughout the day from him, akin to GR status updates--it was so funny. Things like "What the...?!?!?!" Lol. Lots of those in this series. :)

Then my mom & s-i-l read them, and now we're all desperately waiting for the next book and the HBO series. It'll be like True Blood, only better, since the only person I know in real life who's read the Sookies is my s-i-l. So I'm always going off about True Blood, "But in the books...yada yada yada" and everyone's probably sick of hearing it. :)

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user Man, I want to read this, but I'm really leery of the wait for the last book. The last fantasy author I read who took that long never finished the series at all. ;_;

Regina Laura that sounds like so much fun, my house was like that for Harry Potter and Hunger Games (just with my oldest, my husband and my sister). But how cool, your entire family was into it. My husband is very sick of hearing me go on and on about True Blood v. the books -- especially when I pause to give a lecture. :)

new user what series is not finished? I want to avoid that series!

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user It's the Exiles series by Melanie Rawn. It's been years, and I don't think she's going to finish it, especially since she's working on a PNR series now.

Regina Very unfair to the readers. In the very least she should release a novella closing things up so that the readers have closure.

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, that might be nice. Ah, well, maybe I wouldn't enjoy the book as much now that I'm older. It was all about the girl power. Like Anne Bishop. Maybe the author has lost interest in that theme too.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I am so glad you are reading this Regina! Is is so good! Are you liking it?

When does the HBO series start?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Suzanne, the series starts in April.

Regina Suzanne I am liking it so much. Thank you for recommending it! I can't wait until my kids go to sleep. I am on a mission to read less this year, so my time allotment is killing me! If you check out HBO's website or Amazon's website there are trailers and behind the scenes. It looks like it will be well done.

Laura Lulu Regina wrote: "My husband is very sick of hearing me go on and on about True Blood v. the books -- especially when I pause to give a lecture. :) "

Lol! I'm so guilty of this. :)

N_u--it's a tough call. It's an awesome series, but there is a concern that GRRM will pull a Robert Jordan, since he's now taking 5+ years between books, and this next one isn't the last book--he's not the healthiest looking specimen.

The 1st three books were each 2 years apart, then the 4th book was a 5 year wait. Now it's been a 5+ year wait for the 5th, with no publication date in sight.

But...did I mention it was awesome? ;)

Laura Lulu Here's a "behind the scenes" thing they aired on HBO--there were a few people cast that fans didn't think looked the part (Cersei, Robert, Caitlyn, Drogo) but I think everyone looks awesome. Now even more excited after seeing this. :)

Jessica The trailers are getting me so excited!! It looks sooooo good. (I know I have issues with GRRM when I snarl as he starts talking.)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I was looking at the trailer last night and I really can not wait to watch it! Hopefully it will come to the UK soon! It also had my fave actor Sean Bean in it as Ned, I was going to say something about him then, BUT I don't want to put any spoilers in!

I really hope that he doesn't do a Robert Jordan as well, not only with the time between books, but also with the amount, I really want to see what happens to everyone but I can see it becoming a series that never finishes, and I wonder sometimes if GRRM knows how he wants it to end. BUT they are still one of the best fantasy series out.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh no, there are still a lot of books in sight? Hmm, I'll have to give it some thought.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I think because the story just gets bigger and bigger as you read on and there are so many different threads and characters and plots all going on at the same time, it is hard to think what could happen and how it all comes together. Like when I was reading the first book, I would never have expected certain things to happen in the other books down the line.

Regina I loved Sean Bean as Boromir! I am excited to see him again. :) LOL, GRRM is definitely not the healthiest looking specimen, that is to put it mildly. HOpefully he has notes locked away somewhere and he knows how he is going to end the series, I remember reading that JK Rowling had done that and so did KMM. But Laura I think your progression points to an unfinished series due to either lack of interest by the author or perhaps he is distracted by other things (like the HBO series) or his health is distracting him.

So Robert Jordan's series is unfinished? Is that another I should avoid, or is it worth the pain?

The behind the scenes looks amazing -- thanks for linking to it Laura. I love on the short trailers it reads "Winter is coming". I am only 40% into my first book, Catelyn has just arrived at her sister's and her sister is acting all crazy. Which I completely get. I am guessing she has been poisoned too (and her son)??? Thus her miscarraiges and stillborns along with her son's weakness and would that be the meaning of Jon saying as he died, "The seed is strong."

This book is so great. I am seriously excited to figure out who Jon Snow's mother (and father???) is/are. Which book is that revealed? My theory is that he is Lyanna's (Ned's sister) child. But, lol, I am only 400 pages in.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I did as well, when he died I was crying! I also loved him in Sharpe, has anyone watched that? Damn he looked good in uniform!

I had no idea what GRRM looked like until I watched the videos for it! He certainly looks interesting, and he better notleave his series unfinished! Maybe with the HBO series coming out he will write more, try and get his books out whilst there is loads of publicity on them.

Robert Jordans books did get finished, by his son I think I am sure the last one has been released recently. I haven't tried reading them as I had heard bad things, and I wasn't sure if it would ever be finished. I may try out the first book now that I know it has been finished though.

I love the "Winter is Coming" slogan, it gives me goosebumps! Especially when you read the parts on the Wall, I am really tempted to get a tshirt with it on! I love merchandize!

I can't tell you what happens! You will have to carry on reading : D

Regina LOL -- :) I knew that would be the answer. The slogan gives me goosebumps too (or chicken dots as one of my kids used to call it). It is very spooky. The idea of 7 years of winter is very scary.

I keep thinking about the poor men in black on the wall. Wouldn't it make better sense to have a forced contribution by each kingdmom and men rotate in and out for a year rather than being condmened for life and having to be celibate?!!!

I didn't see they had T-shirts, I will have to check into them too. Yes, hopefully this publicity spurs him on!

Jessica Robert Jordon has a series called Wheel of Time. I loved th first 4 or 5 books but got really annoyed with books 6-10. He took the story and spread it way too thin. I distinctly remember throwing the 10th book because I was so angry at the lack of plot progression. I refused to read book 11 and he died before finishing book 12. He did give his notes to his grad student and he went on to publish the final book. I tried to go back and reread it but, after A Song of Ice and Fire, I found it wasn't as good as I originally thought.

Anyway, I love your status updates! Keep them coming. I am waiting for you to hit certain parts so we can all relive it with you! I'm afraid to answer any of your questions because I don't want to let any sort of hint drop. Once you finish A Feast for Crows, we can all get in on a theory and discussion thread ;)

message 38: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, it's not the same at all when another author finishes a series. There's a lot more to writing than just plotting.

Regina Will do Jessica and I love the idea of discussing once I am further in. :) I think I will skip Wheel of Time for now anyway.

And I agree, it just isn't the same when a different author finishes a series. I keep thinking about reading The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien but can't bring myself to read it.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Have you changed covers Regina?

I didn't read "The Children of Hurin" for the same reason, I didn't think it would be quite the same.

The sky dungeons! They are freaky as hell. Who has been your fave character so far?

message 41: by Regina (last edited Jan 05, 2011 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Regina I did change covers. I like this one better than the shiny orange/yellow one! I have a friend who loves Tolkien and he said that Children of Huruin do not add to the story, especially if you have read The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, which I have not but I keep meaning to read. Have you read it Suzanne?

I just keep thinking about who the hell would have built the Eyrie, how scary. In a way similar to the mountain stepping path Sam/Frodo/Gollum took in The Return of the King. I can't wait to see the visuals of how HBO produces the Eyrie.

Favorite characters, I enjoy reading the parts about Tyrion Lannister, I just read the part about his wife that he married when he was 13, very said. I like Jon alot, I was so upset when he took the oath and kept hoping that he wouldn't. I like the wolves, alot. They are a great addition to the story. Bran's story just makes me sad. And as a parent, it is hard to imagine that parents are so far away from their kids invovled in so much intrigue. I like Arya's character, although I am hoping she grows up and I really like Dany. I like Ned, but sometimes he needs to just be quiet and not be brutally honest just for honor's sake.

GRRM has a freaky way in terms of writing about sex -- incest (not only with Jamie and Cerise, but also the "dragon" family), and then the taking of women soooo very young. My oldest is 11.5 so sometimes it is hard not to imagine her. But I do get the world GRRM is creating. Then the Dothraki (whom Dany married into) and their habit of doing everything out in front of everyone else. I know that GRRM is attempting to depict this group as savages who are not civilized, but I am actually liking the Dothraki.

I like the way GRRM isn't afraid to have bad things happen to characters he has made us care about.

Jessica The Eyrie is pretty scary. I love his descriptions of all the castles. Since this thread got me all excited about ASOIAF again, I ended up snagging a 2011 calender of the castles. If you look at the cover, it has a great illustration of the Eyrie

Regina Oh my goodness Jessica those are beautiful images. Thank you for sharing.

Laura Lulu I was going to post the calendar for the image of the eyrie, too. It's pretty awesome. :)

After reading the 4 books, my fave characters are Tyrion, Arya, Jon & Jamie. Then there are other characters you haven't met yet that I like. And I'm a fan of the Hound, as crazy as that sounds. :) And I also liked Kal Drogo & the Dothraki, but I'm not a fan of Dani. I don't know why, but something about her bugs me.

Keep reading! :)

message 45: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Regina! You are like the Dothraki, you say? ;)

Regina new_user wrote: "LOL, Regina! You are like the Dothraki, you say? ;)"

LOL!!! Just edited. :)

Laura I like Kal Drogo so far to (except for that fact that he would marry a 13 year old!) But I guess life is hard and short for the Dothraki. I loved how they wouldn't put up with Dany's brother's abuse of her. I can see the appeal in the hound, what a sad thing that happened to him. :(

Jaimie?!! The Kindslayer? What a great name he has. I haven't seen him enough to like him, but I do like that he immediately came to the defense of his brother, but not so much that he hurt Bran. However, that is me judging them based on who I would hang out with, as far as literary characters go -- they are all very intriguing and the books is better for having them all. (Except Lya, I really didn't like Catelyn's sister).

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I have A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin that cover, which I really like as it has a dragon on! Sad I know lol!

I couldn't see all the pictures on that calender just the first one. I want to get a new calender though I am seriously thinking of getting it.

That is the great thing about this series, there are so many great characters, maybe not in terms of likeability perhaps, but they are all so human, not completely good or completely bad. And people you don't like end up being the ones you do. My fave is Tyrion Lannister, and also though that woman knight, you kow the one who is ugly and man like (Brenna?), I don't think she shows until the next book though.

GRRM's take on relationships and sex is a bit grim and very practical. But the Dothraki grew on me aswell.

Jaimie is one of the characters that I started off really disliking, but I like more and more as the books go on. The character I have never really liked it Catelyn, for some reason she always irritated me!

I have read about 1/3 of the Silmarrilion, but I have to say I got bored and confused so I gave up! One day I will finish it though!

Regina I gotta say that Catelyn's treatment of Jon is really distateful, it has been 14 years -- get over it and don't direct your anger lady at the wrong target! Granted I have never had to raise a child I perceived to be conceived by my husband with another woman, but I can't imagine holding it against the child for so long!

Laura Lulu Yep Suzanne, Brianna is one of the characters I like that we don't meet until later books. Also, the blacksmith kid on the road with Arya--can't remember his name.

Jamie is a character I hated in the 1st few books. But he's grown on me in the last couple. :)

And I agree, I'm not a big fan of Catelyn, and her sister Lysa is a crazy lunatic.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I think that is why I didn't like Catelyn, from her treatment of Jon, but then my opnion of her just neer changed, and I still don't like her. I can't remember Lysa much, it has been a few years since I last read this!

I didn't lik Jamie much either at first, the whole incest thing and what he does to Bran, but I think he changes alot through the books and becomes alot more likable. He espcially grew on me in the last book.

Brianna! yes that's it, I knew it was B something! I think I like her because she is a bit like Ned, quite honest and straightfoward, not so much into all the intrigue and politics, more of a soldier.

Did you notice the blacksmith child in the trailer for the series?

« previous 1