Ashira (Savannah)'s Reviews > Solitary Witch

Mar 19, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: life-as-a-witch, books-on-my-literal-shelf
Read on March 19, 2010

I've been skipping though so basically I'm finished with it, but I'm reading it straight though as well so that I can get all the little details I missed when skim reading...I may quit soon enough, however, because of the way I'm starting to see this book...

At first, I missed many of her mistakes due to lack of knowledge on my part, but after reading many different things online for a few hours, checking details as well as going back to the book itself for reference, and rubbing out headaches, I've learned that this is both a good and bad book, which isn't good seeing as it's supposed to be teaching you a religion, not a fairytale.

I don't wanna seem absolutely crazy by making these remarks, so here's a link to a very helpful review of Silver RavenWolf as a writer:

I came upon it when looking for a few other things on Silver RavenWolf and felt it wise to read the many negative reviews (not only about Solitary Witch, but also about Silver herself) to find out why they were so negative in the first place (it kinda catches your eye when you're looking for more about her and the thing right below her website is a link to "Why We Despise Silver RavenWolf"). After reading all this, I felt it necessary to add my own review so that others can learn from my mistakes.

Now as a writer, SRW is pretty interesting. She can really catch your interest if you're ill-knowleged, but when you check her historical facts most of them are wrong. Many also believe that she's unethical and encourages lying...this doesn't specifically reference Solitary Witch, however.

As far as the lying part goes, I asked my dad if I could go get a book on magick before I even knew Wicca was existent, so whatever she may have said doesn't pertain to me. I was still concerned about what she had to say, however (like I said in the beginning, I've been skipping and skimming so I haven't read the whole book as if it were my bible. So I didn't catch some things that, in many peoples' opinions, many not be directly bashing Christianity, but is implying it).

When I did read some things, however, like the following quote, I was really worried about what I myself may have done had my parents not known of my interest in Wicca and Witchcraft, and I had gone and bought Teen Witch (by SRW, Jamie's copy is far more reliable) or even To Ride a Silver Broomstick.

This quote isn't in Solitary Witch, it's from her infamous Teen Witch book (which I haven't read, and after the quotes and reviews I've read I never intend to) which is supposed to be advice about telling your parents you are on the road to becoming a witch:

"Then we've got the double sneak-attack - working only with angels. Angels, angels everywhere and Mom or Dad won't even care. Sure, because everyone likes angels."

Angels hardly have anything to do with Wicca. This is lying, saying that everything is all peace and joy and holy, holy, holy. Wicca deals with the God and Goddess, the Lord and Lady, the elements... Angels are just an idea that some people believe in, others don't, and never (in my experience) come up in anything important when living as a Witch - Solitary or with a Coven - unless you feel it is. It's an opinion, not factual. The way she's explaining it, however, seems to be falsely telling you that Angels are important to Witchcraft and even if they aren't you should tell those who aren't Wiccan that they are. This seems to show up in a few of her books, though I wouldn't know seeing as this is the only book by SRW that I've read.

Speaking of the Teen Witch Kit, I was awed at the mere existence of the thing - and I've hardly even touched upon Wicca! I heavily agree with what BrighidsFieryArrow has to say on the discussion on Silver RavenWolf as a credible author on Wicca: It's an absolute horror. As a Witch, you make your supplies or get the supplies that call to you, therefore you can form a bond with your tools. Also, being a witch isn't just something easy and fun - there is a difference between a Witch and a Magician - it's a lifestyle. You can't sell a lifestyle in a box! Not only that, but she uses the words "Wicca" and "Witchcraft" as though they are the same thing, though they are not. To be a Wiccan means that you are a witch, but to be a witch does not mean that you are Wiccan. There are Christian Witches, Jewish Witches, even Satanic Witches (which she claims to be non-existent, which is a lie) as well as many more. But that's a completely different book altogether, in fact one that I have not even read...

Some of the things I read on her were surprisingly hateful. Someone even went as far as calling her "Wicca's devil". Though a few completely disagree and think that her way is perfectly fine. Personally, I just want to draw the information from the crap-pile and forget the rest. That's why I'm looking into other books and perhaps even getting a teacher.

When I first began reading this book, I just thought she was very personal with her writing and that's something that made her work different. It was different all right... As someone new to the religion of Wicca (like myself), especially when skimming around, it's hard to see how cruel she seems to be to Christians. When you look, though, she heavily implies that her idea of Wicca is far above that of Christianity, or any other religion for that matter - including anyone else's idea of Wicca. I come from a Christian family, so I certainly don't have any hatred towards them. On top of that, most of the world's religion is Christian, so what she implied about them is simply, well... ludicrous.

Also, after looking up a few different things on the Sabbats, astrology, and other things like such, I realized how unacknowledged she was on the subjects, so I'll be sure to steer clear of most her information there.

I did like the way she laid out the pantheons, and how she explained the Wiccan Rede...but even before I knew all this stuff I was very curious about where the Threefold Law was... This is supposed to be a starters guide-like thing, so where's that bit of information? Gone with the wind I suppose...

But besides that, I'm glad that of all SRW's works I picked up this one. It's definitely an easy to get around in it, and it presents the information in a way that just cuts to the chase. It seems to be one of the less infamous books of hers, and I've actually read many good things on this book as well. It's good to know that even though I didn't know her other work was mostly crap, that the book I was reading was on of the less damaging (too strong a word?) to the beginning witch.

*sighs* But I'm done ranting. I suggest that you read more of the reviews before you even bother picking up this book, or any of SRW's other works. Half of it was a good waste of my time and money, though I am glad about the other half of the information which I will continue to note in my own book of shadows.

May Goddess be with you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solitary Witch.

03/19 page 207
34.05% "So mote it be"
07/11 marked as: read

message 1: by Em (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em I have never read Silver, but I have heard a lot about her, and she seems to really have a thing for angels

Wiccanmoon JulieJenks I'm still undecided on Silver. Almost everyone I meet in the craft doesn't like her writing or teaching methods and say she is full of hot air. So I read with an open mind. I sure hope that the info I am reading is not incorrect. Blessed Be ~ WiccanMoon )O(

message 3: by Em (new) - rated it 4 stars

Em I have decided that she's alright. Slightly fluffy and writes for the teen audience, but she's basically alright by me.

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Lynn I own a copy of Teen Witch and I have not found that quote in there...? Also, she uses Angels in the way someone uses Fey, Ancestors, Spirit Guides, Guardians, etc.