Daniel Lee's Reviews > Mariadb Cookbook

Mariadb Cookbook by Daniel Bartholomew

M 50x66
May 25, 2014

Read in May, 2014

The MariaDB Cookbook says it's a book for people wanting to get to know MariaDB, specifically if they already have experience with databases and want to know what sets MariaDB apart. True to its word, the book starts by introducing a concise but comprehensive set of recipes ranging from simple backups to the first steps in setting up a highly performant, secure and scalable database infrastructure.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who already has set up and/or administrated a database and is considering taking a closer look at MariaDB, or for anyone who has done simple things with MariaDB and would like to see a few options on how to scale their infrastructure. I found the book contained quite a few inspiring chapters on how to tune performance or usability in ways tailored to your specific needs. It also has some really interesting sections on setting up durable database clusters for the purpose of redundance, load balancing, etc. I would not recommend it to anybody who is unfamiliar with databases in general or to people who already know what they want to do and are wanting to understand the theory and processes involved on a more in-depth level. This is not the MariaDB Cookbook's intended audience.

That said, if you are looking for quick tutorials that explain exactly what you need to know - and not more - in order to familiarize yourself with MariaDB, you'll find the MariaDB Cookbook fits your needs precisely. It gives you a well-organized and concise glimpse into the world of MariaDB and also tells you where you can find additional information if you're interested in pursuing the background.

Although the author did a good job of explaining the basics, like how to install MariaDB on the various major OS, my favorite chapters were the somewhat more advanced topics. There's lots there about checking and optimizing tables, optimizing queries, installing plugins, switching to different storage engines, avoiding deadlocks and managing your threadpool in the first chapters. They're followed by (among other topics) sections on the very interesting CONNECT engine, which allows accessing data from heterogeneous sources from MariaDB, and various strategies for replicating the database and working with clusters. Shortly afterwards, the author discusses auditing before moving on to more exotic topics, such as virtual and dynamic columns,as well as full-text searches with Sphinx. The book ends by explaining some basic ways of securing your database on different platforms.

All in all, a fast read that's well worth your time if you have intermediate database knowledge at the get-go. I will definitely be looking things up in it again when I start my next project requiring a relational database.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mariadb Cookbook.

05/25/2014 marked as: read