Stephen's Reviews > The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

6.0 stars. On my list of "All Time Favorite" novels. This incredible book is the newest entry onto my list of favorite novels of all time. Reading this book was a one of a kind literary experience that I highly recommend everyone experience. The basic plot of the novel is an excellent murder mystery set in an Italian monastery during the 14th century and featuring an excellent "Sherlock Holmes" type character named William of Baskerville. As good as the basic plot is, the real essence of the story is a exposition on the nature of philosophies, beliefs and the ability of man to obtain knowledge of universal truths.

Apart from the above general description, this is a really tough book to describe in detail because there is so much going on throughout the narrative. I will simply end by saying that it is superbly written, highly detailed, never boring and at 600 pages I wish it was longer as I was not ready for the book to end. Definitely one that I will re-read several times. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Rose.

March 18, 2010 – Shelved
September 2, 2010 – Started Reading
September 5, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Allan (new) - added it

Allan Fisher Going to start this tomorrow... been on the shelf over ten years...

message 2: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean I'm reading this now and those philosphies you mention pose a bit of a challenge to me. I find myself having to read a paragraph 3 times just to comprehend. I don't think this is an easy book.

Stephen Definitely not what I would call a light read but I found it very rewarding. I hope you do as well.

s.penkevich Yeah this book gets pretty heavy, especially towards the middle. I found a bit of Wikipedia to be helpful. Stick with it though, the ending is amazing and I completely agree with Stephen about not wanting this book to end. Hope you enjoy!

Stephen Almost time for a re-read of this beauty. I want to read one more Eco first before I come back to it. What would you suggest for the next of his books to read?

message 6: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean They say Foucoult's Pendulum is his second best but I haven't read it. Supposedly that is the book that Dan Brown bit off of when he wrote the DaVinci Code.

s.penkevich I have only read this book by Eco, but as Sean said, I only heard good things about Foucault's Pendulum.

Stephen Excellent, that is the one I was planning on reading next. Thanks guys.

s.penkevich Hope it's a good one. I'll be anticipating your review, I'm looking forward to reading that one as well.

message 10: by Henry (new) - added it

Henry Avila Great novel and the movie had an interesting atmosphere.Captured what Europe was like before the Black Death in the mid 1300's.