Crazy for Books (Stephanie)'s Reviews > Only Pretend

Only Pretend by Nora Flite

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-romance, review-request, romance

ARC provided by author for an hones review.

3.5 BLOND AMERICAN GIRL NEXT DOOR STARS

Celeste Barstow has had a rough time. Her boyfriend, who she works for, has just fired her and broken up with her, all in one fell swoop. Not only that... he says she boring. What's a girl supposed to do when she wants to prove to herself that she can be adventurous and spontaneous...? Go to Vegas of course! But while in Vegas, things take a turn and Celeste ends up in a position she could have never imagine.

This book was an easy and quick read. Although it started out like it could have been a romantic comedy. Girl gets dumped by her boyfriend. Decides to spend the last of her funds in her bank account on a wild weekend in Vegas, only to fall for a dashing stranger. If only that was the case. Where Celeste ends up isn't fun. Leonide is an interesting character. I don't understand how a world traveler could believe what he was doing was for the greater good. But in a way he was brainwashed as well.

I didn't love this as much as The Body Rock series, but I have to say I wasn't bored reading it at all. And I still like Nora's style of writing. Like when Leonide comes to the realization of his feelings for Celeste.

And Celeste Barstow.
She was an illogical miracle; a girl who brought so many feelings out in me.
Fuck.
I hated her with a passion
~ Leonide

Though there were tense times, it just felt a little too insulated. And though that worked for The Body Rock series. All the internal musings and conversation, it made for a few slow moments loosing momentum in the story, here.

I still love Nora's writing. I've read worse and think she dose a great job with her characters. And although sometime her women make easy hindsight mistakes, they are very strong and I respect that. They never completely fall apart, standing up and doing what needs to be done in the end. As Celeste did in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Pretend.

May 25, 2014 – Shelved