Jeff Black's Reviews > The Crimson Shield

The Crimson Shield by Nathan Hawke

I bought this book on a blind purchase based on the deadly cover art and a look at the map, and I'm glad I did, because it was a really fun read. There are a few flaws, but everything else made up for it. The dialogue is a blast. Cynical, crudely funny, full of life and personality. A lot of backstory and history is doled out in a huge dialogue chunk early in the book, and that info is important all through the series, so you may find yourself flipping back to that section periodically to remind yourself who/what/when/where a character is talking about. The action is full of grit and piss and thunder with well-researched battle tactics. The book drops you right in the center of a blood-slick battlefield which sets the tone for most of the novel.

The book moves fast so you need to pay attention to names and places when they're mentioned. There's hardly any women at all in this book, but the ladies get their kicks in during the 2nd and 3rd installments. The characters live in a violent and bloody world; There is so much action and fighting and warfare that I actually got tired of it in certain points.

If you're looking for a fun and gritty fantasy novel steeped in Nordic influence, you could do a lot worse. I enjoyed myself the most during the points when the more memorable characters got to banter and bicker. A week after I bought this book, I went out and snagged the next two books in the series so that about says it all, really. Go forth and conquer, brothers and sister of the sea!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crimson Shield.

Finished Reading