Czarny Pies's Reviews > Gulliver's Travels

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

bookshelves: english-lit, favorites
Recommended to Czarny by: Professor Daniel Blostein
Recommended for: Earthlings

Every time one reads Gulliver's Travels one learns something new. I have read it four times and have barely scratched the surface. The first two sections on the land of the little people and of the giants get the most attention from moviemakers because of their fairy tale qualities and the satire that is pertinent in any age. However, as my professor in first year English said, the important thing is to devote equally energy and attention to the last two sections of the book which are as strong as the first two.

Swift is the greatest satirist in English literature, possibly in world literature. He attacks the arbitrary use of power, gratuitous cruelty, dogmatism, selfishness, the instinctive recourse of our states to go to war, and blind faith in science. He criticizes humans for being unable to see the truth behind the statements of it leaders, to understand the strengths of our language and the tendency of humans to project virtues on people and things that they do not possess. This is all too much for one reading. I advise reading Gulliver's Travels once every ten years.

Avoid movie versions like the plague. Films require drama and structure. Gulliver's Travels is a wonderful compendium of arguments and counter-arguments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gulliver's Travels.

October 14, 1972 – Started Reading