Markirah Shaw's Reviews > Dead Watch

Dead Watch by John Sandford

it was ok

If I hadn't looked at the author bio on the inside back cover, I never would have guessed this novel was written by a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist because the story was told in a shallow, ill-paced fashion.

Then again, it really did have all the hallmarks of a piece of journalism: objective descriptions of settings and characters - but to the point that the reader can't invest in the story arcs and therefore can't really care about the characters; a blunt and minimal narrative - which isn't so bad considering every writer has his/her own writing style, but Sandford's was to the point of not providing complete sentences.

Indeed, journalism and fiction are two genres that are worlds apart. And maybe it's not so easy to cross over from one to the other. Some singers don't make good actors and some journalists don't make great fiction authors. Sandford is a respected writer, I know, and maybe Dead Watch just wasn't his best.

I felt like I was missing something as I read the novel, as if there was a story prior to Dead Watch, which may actually be a sequel in a series. But after further research, I found that it was a stand-alone novel. I hate to give "best-selling authors" low ratings, it comes off as pretentious. But honestly I was not impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Watch.

Finished Reading