MissHavoc {Cry Havoc! Reviews}'s Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

it was ok

Review: I really wanted to like this book, but I was really just confused the whole time. I must say that Ellie, the protagonist, was very believable and really likable. She seemed like a real person. Other than that though, I didn't really understand what was happening in the story. It probably is because I'm an ignorant American and the author and characters are from New Zealand, including the lingo and story-telling style. The characters are all based on Maori legends, which is part of New Zealand Mythology. Not knowing any of the stories or who the Maori are, limited my understanding of the book. Even the "Fae" are not like western civilization's idea's of the Fae. So, with that said, if I understood anything about New Zealand culture I'm hoping I would've enjoyed the book more. But since I didn't get it at all, I almost stopped reading it even, I have to only give it a 1.5/5 stars. Sorry. If anyone disagrees, and I'm sure they will, sorry, I tried to understand it, but I just didn't get it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.

March 18, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 24, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Kimathy i know how you feel, i really wanted to like it but i didn't. i went to New Zealand for vacation one time and ever since i just loved Maori related things. i learned a lot on my trip but the book still did not make much sense.

Sara I'm in the same boat as you... I'm on page 143 and I basically have no idea what to make of the story as of yet. It seems totally sporadic and odd at times. Anyhow, I'll keep reading, hopefully it ends better than it started!!

message 3: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra I felt the exact same way about this book. And I DID stop reading it. Because the whole time I was like ....what? Like, it felt like nothing flowed. It was too all over the place for me.