Heather's Reviews > Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

Mar 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, audio

** spoiler alert ** I liked it but not as much as the first 3. It dragged for me in some spots. The whole Brianna and Roger thing drove me a bit nuts (sorry if I spell anything wrong, I listen to the audio version so I'm not sure how things are actually written out in the books). Anyway, Roger kind of became a douchebag in my mind after going through the stones and finding out about the "predicament." I liked him much better in the 1960s/early 1970s not in this time period.
I was quite sad that Ian is among the Mohawk people. I liked his character, a bit of comic relief.
I also got a bit annoyed because perhaps I missed it or something but I lost out on whatever happened to Lord John Gray and William after Jamie took William away while Ian, and Lord John had smallpox. I just kind of lost what happened to them after until Lord John showed up again at River Run when Brianna was there pregnant.
Same case with Lizzie. It sounded as though everyone left Brianna at River Run (Aunt Jocasta's home) all alone while they went off to get Roger from the Indians (they meaning Jamie, Claire, and Ian). Where was Lizzie? I don't recall her ever being mentioned at River Run yet when everyone returns to Fraser's ridge after getting Roger and Brianna etc, she's there again. However, I don't think she was at Fraser's ridge because Claire mentions how overgrown it all is and kind of just neglected since they've been gone. *sigh* perhaps I'm just picky.
Overall, I did like it, it just wasn't as exciting as some of the other ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drums of Autumn.

March 18, 2010 – Shelved