rachel • typed truths's Reviews > Say Her Name

Say Her Name by James Dawson

May 23, 2014

bookshelves: read-2015, favourites-2015, own, 4-star

I was quite pleasantly surprised by Say Her Name. It was probably the most plausible horror book I've ever read, and it had such a wonderful cast of characters. I've never been a huge fan of horror books because they are often ridiculously cheesy or have rather stupid protagonists. Say Her Name managed to defeated both of those stereotypes, however, and rewrote the Bloody Mary legend in a entertaining fashion.

The first thing I want to say is that the characters were amazing and there was a lot of diversity so cheers to that too! Bobbie - our protagonist - and her best friend, Naya, had one of the best relationships ever. I loved how they were such close friends and had none of the superficial or bitchy crap that a lot of YA "friendships" tend to have. They were open and honest, they joked around, but in the end they cared for each and looked out for one another. Hallelujah! I also just liked the characters in general, especially sassy Naya. The romance was good, but a little unnecessary - like most YA romances though, so nothing new.

I also completely loved that the fact that the dialogue was realistic. One of my biggest pet peeves is when authors write conversations between teenagers and makes us sounds like idiots. We don't always use slang, we don't abbreviate everything and we don't put 'like' and 'Oh my God' into every sentence. James Dawson manged to capture "our language" to utter perfection. I smiled so much and it's just.. well, it's fantastic. I don't think that any other author - that I can think of right now - has managed to write this so perfectly.

The plotline itself was a little up and down though. I didn't think that the beginning was very strong, though that may have been my skepticism tainting my judgement a little. By the middle of the book, however, I was thoroughly enthralled and eager to read more. The mystery grabbed me, and some of the stuff happening was really intense. (view spoiler) This really built over the last third of the book, and the ending was fantastic. The newspaper clipping was a perfect conclusion, and I loved that it left open for a sequel. Fingers crossed that there will be one!

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The characters and their relationships were spot on; I loved Bobbie and Naya's friendship especially. The plot grew on me the more I read it, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. I really want a sequel now, and will be checking out the author's other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Say Her Name.