Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Rum Punch

bookshelves: read-in-2014

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

“My ass may be dumb, but I ain’t no dumbass” – Ordell Robbie

Well, call me a dumbass because I had no idea that Rum Punch was the real name for

For the past 17 years I’ve been singing the praises of Tarantino’s film – only to find out Elmore Leonard was actually the mastermind behind this product. (In defense of my undying Tarantino love – casting Pam Grier as “Jackie Brown” rather than some rando white broad as “Jackie Burke” was genius). A Facebook discussion regarding “manly authors who write manly books” was the driving force behind me letting the moths out of my wallet and dropping $15.00 (FIFTEEN MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS?????? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!!) on Rum Punch this weekend. When I discovered one of my favorite films was actually a book by an author I should have been reading a long time ago (due to my Carl Hiassen fangirl status), I had to come off the cash and read it immediately.

What did I find? The movie “Jackie Brown” literally played in my head while reading this book. Leonard’s work is so brilliant that Tarantino didn’t even have to change the dialogue. I love an author who can toss a billion main characters into one big pot and produce something delicious – and that is what happens with Rum Punch.

If you’re one of the few who have never seen “Jackie Brown” but are looking for an action-packed tale of double-crossing with a complex plot that, at times, might leave you asking

– then this is the book for you.

If you’re like me and have read many “Elmore-inspired” authors, once you read the real thing you will know:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rum Punch.

May 23, 2014 – Started Reading
May 23, 2014 – Shelved
May 23, 2014 –
page 1
0.27% "Today I become a man . . . or something like that. First Elmore Leonard for me EVAH."
May 24, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014

Andrea Yeah, a lot of his books were made into films (with Elmore's dialogue, the screenplays just about write themselves)but i think the JB version of RP is a particularly brilliant adaptation. Now that your on the right page, have fun checking out the rest of EL's stuff!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Andrea wrote: "JB version of RP is a particularly brilliant adaptation..."

I agree 100%. Everything was there in this book, except for the perfect cast (and the reason my rating dropped 1/2 a Star). Casting someone as "Whitebread" rather than Samuel L. Jackson or choosing someone who fit the description of "Jackie Burke" just would not have been the same.

I read Pronto this weekend too (since my hubs is a huge fan of the television show "Justified"). Can't wait to see what else the library has for me this summer : )

Andrea Pam Grier was an inspired choice, no doubt. Unfortunately the "race switch" wasn't nearly as convincing in the film version of Be Cool; but, hey, not all directors manage to get EL's tone down. Anyway, read on, it's all (well, almost) good!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Makes me hungry for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. I love Tarantino and this film, which resurrected my latent crush on Pam Grier. I also loved Samuel L. and the guy who played Max Cherry, bail bondsmen. Loved the movie so much that I bought the book--which sits unread. Great review, Kelly.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Steve : )

The book definitely will not disappoint (and if you're like me you'll easily ignore the references to Jackie being a white, blonde woman and keep imagining "Foxy Brown" in the role).

Lady Alexandrine I love Jackie Brown movie !!! Gret review Kelly! I have to read this book asap :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thank you Lady Alexandrine. I hope you like it as much as the movie : )