Brittany's Reviews > Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals

Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor

Mar 17, 2010

bookshelves: sciencewriting, favorites
Recommended for: Everyone

The more books by Karen Pryor I read, the more I want to read books by Karen Pryor.

The cover of this book was a bit misleading. My copy, at least, has a picture of a happy dog on it. That and the words "clicker training" in the title led me to believe it was mainly about clicker training in dogs. This couldn't be more incorrect. There are dogs in here of course; but they keep company with plenty of cats, ferrets, dolphins, whales, miniature horses, gymnasts, autistic children, and golfers.

Pryor is a vivid and entertaining storyteller. In this book, she surveys the concept of clicker training, answers all your questions, and explores its broader applications in communicating with people for whom communication is difficult (autistic children) and in teaching other humans (gymnasts and commercial fishermen, for instance).

The book is fascinating, and Pryor keeps it humming a long with lots of stories, humor, and asides. Her natural gift for conversational storytelling makes this book a joy to read, and, by the time you're done with it, you're wondering at what point everyone else will read the book, internalize its messages, and humanity will take its next great leap forward.

As a great supplement, there's a website for the book, with photos, videos, and links to scientific papers. This is the first time I've read a book with an accompanying website, and I adored it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reaching the Animal Mind.

March 17, 2010 – Started Reading
March 17, 2010 – Shelved
March 17, 2010 – Shelved as: sciencewriting
March 18, 2010 –
page 19
March 19, 2010 –
page 75
27.57% "The more I read of Karen Pryor, the more I think her books should come with "Accept No Dog Whisperer" stickers."
March 21, 2010 –
page 172
March 22, 2010 –
page 213
March 23, 2010 – Finished Reading
March 4, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Wendy-Jane (new)

Wendy-Jane Sheppard Thanks Brittany for your interesting and insightful review