Lucia's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

bookshelves: favorites, 5-stars-read, bookshelves-owned, historical
Recommended to Lucia by: Mollie
Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read 2 times. Last read June 15, 2014 to June 23, 2014.

“Then let amorous kisses dwell
On our lips, begin and tell
A Thousand and a Hundred score
A Hundred, and a Thousand more”

Outlander is a complex story with multilayered depiction of characters that will touch your heart, consume your thoughts and mesmerize you with the beauty of its settings. This is the kind of book that you will live through together with main characters and you will never be the same once you finish it.

Claire Randall - a witty and compassionate woman from 20th century thrown into dangers of 18th century Scottish Highlands. James Fraser - a selfless and passionate Scottish warrior finding his way in the game of intrigues between Scottish lords and English superiors. What happens when fate brings these two people together?
“Does it ever stop? The wanting you? Even when I've just left ye. I want you so much my chest feels tight and my fingers ache with wanting to touch ye again.”

First of all, let me tell you one important thing. Outlander is the most epic tale of love I have ever read. And when I say epic, I really mean epic - grand, impressive, outstanding, remarkable. Whenever I only think about Jamie & Claire, about their epic romance, my pulse speeds up. This book just simply has such a powerful effect on me.

Secondly, author proves her astonishing story-telling skills in this novel. The amount of reasearch author had to do prior to writing this novel, the way she captured historical period, it is phenomenal. I was sucked into the story from early chapters and even the large number of pages never bothered me.
“Oh, aye, Sassenach,” he answered a bit ruefully. “I am your master…and you’re mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.”

I loved how authentic this story was, thanks to the use of old Scottish. I loved how adventurous and eventful this novel was. I loved how flawed and realistic characters were. I loved it all.
“I will protect you. To the last drop of my blood, mo duinne."

Outlander is not an easy read. Your heart will rejoice for the characters at one point, only to ache terribly for them seconds after. But reward for investing your time, mind and heart into reading this book is more than worth it. And this reward is Jamie Fraser.

"A big man, with hair like fire, and eyes like the summer skies". He is the perfect example of how to write unforgettable character. Stubborn but kind. Temperamental but courageous. Proud but selfless. Believe me, it is impossible not to fall in love with him. So, are you ready to meet Jamie Fraser?

“And you, my Sassenach? What were you born for? To be lady of a manor, or to sleep in the fields like a gypsy? To be a healer, or a don’s wife, or an outlaw’s lady?”
“I was born for you,” I said simply, and held out my arms to him.

P.S. Even though story continues, there is no cliffy at the end.

MORE REVIEWS ON MY BLOG Reading Is My Breathing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

Finished Reading
May 23, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 23, 2014 – Shelved
June 15, 2014 – Started Reading
June 15, 2014 –
10.0% "And so I meet famous Jamie Fraser!\n "
June 17, 2014 –
34.0% "Oh my, I'm falling for Jamie and I'm falling hard!\n \n \n \n \n "
June 18, 2014 –
42.0% ""I would have killed a dozen men to get to you, Claire."\n William Wallace has always been my favourite Scottish character. However, I think he is going to be replaced by Jamie Fraser by the time I finish this book!"
June 20, 2014 –
60.0% "This chapter is messing with my head! I did not expect what just happened and I am speechless. THIS BOOKS IS A PERFECTION!"
June 20, 2014 –
65.0% "I am touched and I have tears in my eyes at the moment."
June 23, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
June 23, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 1, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-stars-read
October 19, 2014 – Shelved as: bookshelves-owned
March 13, 2015 –
page 1
0.12% "After seeing photos from yesterday's PaleyFest I got this huge craving to spend some time with Jamie and Claire. Easy solution - re-read time :)\n \n "
January 18, 2017 – Shelved as: historical

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)

Natalie Do you like it so far?

Lucia Natalie wrote: "Do you like it so far?"

I do! I am only 13% in but I am in love with writing style :)

message 3: by Natalie (last edited Jun 15, 2014 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Natalie Oh good. That was what I was worried about. Not everyone enjoy the writing style and the throughly described details.

Lucia G.K. wrote: "I've heard really great things about this series, but I never decided to start reading it... I'll wait to see what you have to say about it :)"

So far I am truly impressed! Will keep you upadted :)

Lucia Yosira wrote: "I started to read the series this week (after I knew that a tv series is coming in Aug). I've never thought that it would be this good :). Enjoy the series."

Ah, thank you :) I am loving it! So amazingly writen!

message 6: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • Love the pics !!!

Lucia Lisa Jayne wrote: "Love the pics !!!"

Thank you dear :) Have you read this book?

Chris-Wait-For-It-Awesome Good Luck Lucia! Fair warning! You'll probably fall in love!

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Amazing review Lucia :))

Brandi Fantastic review, Lucia! So glad you enjoyed this one :)

Gamze welcome to the Outlander family Lucia :)
Great review! :)

Sonia Leon Great review! Jamie Fraser is my book husband. The King of Men!!! :)

Lucia Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤ wrote: "Amazing review Lucia :))"

Brandi wrote: "Fantastic review, Lucia! So glad you enjoyed this one :)"

Lucia Gamze wrote: "welcome to the Outlander family Lucia :)
Great review! :)"

Thank you Gamze! I am so glad I finally decided to start this series :)

Lucia Sonia wrote: "Great review! Jamie Fraser is my book husband. The King of Men!!! :)"

Thanks a lot Sonia :) I have to agree with you, Jamie won me over in this book!

Natalie Sonia wrote: "Great review! Jamie Fraser is my book husband. The King of Men!!! :)"

Alexander Barrington vs Jamie Fraser....hmm...can't decide...

message 17: by Plamena (new) - added it

Plamena Wonderful review, Lucia!

message 18: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Wonderful review Lucia! :)

Lucia Plamena wrote: "Wonderful review, Lucia!"

Debra wrote: "Wonderful review Lucia! :)"

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 23, 2014 03:23PM) (new)

I really need to start this series soon (before the tvshow!) :P
Fantastic review Lucia! <3

Ash Wednesday Sam Heughan! <3

I think I'd have rated this better if that progression down the line shocked me more. Sadly, with all the crazy I've seen, it wasn't the case.

Well done Lucia!

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Beautiful review Lucia!:)

message 23: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo Beautiful review, Lucia. Love all the pics and gifs.

message 24: by Len (new) - rated it 4 stars

Len Wonderful review Lucia!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Fabulous review, Lucia!!!

Lucia Ana Rita wrote: "I really need to start this series soon (before the tvshow!) :P
Fantastic review Lucia! <3"

Thank you! Hope you will enjoy it when you read it yourself :)

Lucia Ash Wednesday wrote: "Sam Heughan! <3

Well done Lucia!"

For me, it was not the shock factor that made me love this novel. I think it was author's storytelling skills and characters she created.

Lucia Arianna wrote: "Beautiful review Lucia!:)"

Len wrote: "Wonderful review Lucia!"

Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Reads YA Like A Boss* wrote: "Fabulous review, Lucia!!!"

Thank you, ladies! :)

Lucia Mo wrote: "Beautiful review, Lucia. Love all the pics and gifs."

Thanks a lot, Mo :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Beautiful review! Will be it reading this weekend.

Lucia Sherry-ann wrote: "Beautiful review! Will be it reading this weekend."

Thank you :) Hope you will love it as much as I did!

Karla stunning review Lucia I feel like I love Jamie Fraser already definitely gotta check out this series (:

Lucia Karla wrote: "stunning review Lucia I feel like I love Jamie Fraser already definitely gotta check out this series (:"

Thank you Karla :) Definitely give this series a chance, Jamie Fraser is worth it!

Jennifer Lane Fab review, Lucia! I love this series. Are you onto book two then? I'm reading book eight.

message 35: by Lucia (last edited Jun 25, 2014 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucia Jennifer wrote: "Fab review, Lucia! I love this series. Are you onto book two then? I'm reading book eight."

Thank you Jennifer!
I haven't started second book yet. I am still high on first book since it was so intense, so I am taking wee break. But I should continue with series next week :)

Jennifer Lane Och, we all need a wee break, lassie.

message 37: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Superb review, Lucia! XOXOX.

Lucia Maria wrote: "Superb review, Lucia! XOXOX."

Thank you darling :) Have you read this series?

Natalie Are you planning on starting book 2 soon?

Lucia Natalie wrote: "Are you planning on starting book 2 soon?"

Hopefully next week if I am not too busy :)

message 41: by xrysa (new) - added it

xrysa AMazing review Lucia :)
The book's size is holding me back , but I would love to start this series !

Lucia kristina wrote: "AMazing review Lucia :)
The book's size is holding me back , but I would love to start this series !"

The page count scared me too but once I started the book, I never wanted it to end, it was that good!

Amy | Foxy Blogs Beautiful review!!
I own this book ...I just need to read it.

Lucia Amy (Foxy) wrote: "Beautiful review!!
I own this book ...I just need to read it."

You should give it a try, it is marvellous peace of written word!

message 45: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja Lovely review hun!xo

Lucia Patrycja wrote: "Lovely review hun!xo"

Arabella ~♡AB♡~ Beautiful review Lucia <3

Lucia Arabella ~♡AB♡~ wrote: "Beautiful review Lucia <3"

Thanks, dear! xo

rdmickey1989 Outlander is happening for me kind of like twilight. Never read it until I saw the movie. Now that I have seen the first 6 episodes, I am now reading this as well. Busy season to try and read but cannot wait until I can sit lazy in a chair and just read. I am eager to find out what happens after what I know from the TV episodes.

Lucia rdmickey1989 wrote: "Outlander is happening for me kind of like twilight. Never read it until I saw the movie. Now that I have seen the first 6 episodes, I am now reading this as well. Busy season to try and read but c..."

Outlander definitely is my new obsession as well :) After I read first book in June and watched Tv show, I did nothing else bust read all 8 books in last 6 months. I hope you will enjoy reading it too!

« previous 1