Lauren's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Mar 17, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy

Finnikin of the Rock lost a star for me because at least the first half of it was hard work... harder work even than Jellicoe Road... but because it was Melina Marchetta I persevered because I knew that once I got really into it a peeled back a few of the layers there would be gems that I'd be devastated to miss. And I was right.
By the end of the book I was glad of the hard work it had taken to get me there. It's always hard for an author to swing genres without either alienating their fan base or making a dogs breakfast of their new genre... overall I have to be happy with how she's done it. It's a new and interesting take on the fantasy genre that delves deep into relationships in the true Marchetta style. If she were to bring out another fantasy book... I'd be waiting for it with equally eager anticipation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

Quotes Lauren Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Sir Topher finally looked up. “Because any hope beyond that, my boy, would be too much. I feared we would drown in it.”
"Then I choose to drown,” Finnikin said. “In hope. Rather than float into nothing.”
tags: hope

Melina Marchetta
“This hand says you spend the rest of your life with me," he said, holding out his left hand, "and this one says I spend the rest of my life with you. Choose."

She bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She took both of his hands in hers and he shuddered. "I will die protecting you," he says.

There was a look of dismay on her face. "Just like a man of this kingdom, Finnikin. Talking of death, yours or mine, is not a good way to begin a-"

Isaboe gave a small gasp when he leaned forward, his lips an inch away from hers. "I will die for you," he whispered.

She cupped his face in her hands. "But promise me you'll live first. Because nothing we are about to do is going to be easy and I need you by my side.”

Melina Marchetta
“Tell me about the farm," she pleaded as drops of blood began to appear on her hand.
"The farm?"
"The farm that Finnikin the peasant would have lived on with his bride."
"Evanjalin. That was her name. Did I mention that?"
She laughed through a sob. "No, you didn't."
"They would plant rows upon rows of wheat and barley, and each night they would sit under the stars to admire what they owned. Oh, and they would argue. She believes the money made would be better spent on a horse, and he believes they need a new barn. But then later they would forget all their anger and he would hold her fiercely and never let her go."
"And he'd place marigolds in her hair?" she asked.
He clasped her hands against his and watched her blood seep through the lines of his skin. "And he would love her until the day he died," he said.”

Melina Marchetta
“Do you think you should warn him (the guard) that I'm going to kiss you?"
He loved the flush that appeared on her face, and there was an intake of breath from the girls.
"Aldron," she said clearing her throat,"if he agrees to become king, I'm going to let him kiss me. Please don't stop him."
Aldron thought for a moment and sighed, holding up his hand. "Wait there and do not move," he ordered Finnikin, before calling out to one of the other guards who stood on the platform. "Ask Perri if he's allowed to touch her if he's agreed to be king.”

Melina Marchetta
“Finn, listen!" Trevanion said, his voice raw."I prayed to see you one more time. It's all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I'll lend them west."

"We have a dilemma, then," Finnikin said fiercely. "Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mine?”

Melina Marchetta
“Never underestimate the value of knowing another's language. It can be far more powerful than swords and arrows.”