Evan's Reviews > Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

Dangerously Funny by David Bianculli

Mar 17, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: _lfpl-library, vietnam, tv, humor, 1960s, celebrity-famous-bio, 2010-reads
Read from August 10 to 15, 2010

Since we inhabit this realm called "Good Reads" and not, say, "Middling to Fair Reads", I am yanked back into reality by that realization.

David Bianculli's Dangerously Funny... is not, as it stands, an inherently "un-good" read, but neither is it particularly scintillating.

I blazed through it, and enjoyed it, but only because the subjects of '60s pop and political culture, issues of creative control and free speech and censorship of art/media, social control and corporate mentalities, TV of that era, and the Smothers Brothers themselves hold some interest for me. But I think you kind of have to have some experience with the show to really care much about the book. I did find it interesting to realize how much Tom Smothers (the "dumb" brother on the show) was the creative mastermind and tenacious button pusher whose uncompromising stances and tendency to seek a good scrap ultimately led to the program's cancellation.

Bianculli has done yeoman research and presents the facts in easy to read fashion. But in the end, the book really has no flair, and Bianculli too often resorts to hyperbole when heroicizing the brothers and their mark on culture. This is a common and noticeable tendency of boomers like Bianculli, perhaps overvaluing the importance of the pop cultural landmarks of their life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerously Funny.

08/10/2010 page 10