Kiwi's Reviews > The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life

The Courage to Teach by Parker J. Palmer

liked it
bookshelves: 2014

This book was useful to me in validating my philosophy on teaching and on providing thoughtful stories/strategies (rather than techniques). It was less useful in its new-agey, hippy-dippy, self-helpey take on things; I tended to gloss over those despite being a spiritual person myself (and one who even reads self-help books on occasion).

Loved the focus on identity and integrity as the major requirements for teaching. Also the differentiation between a student interacting with a subject through a teacher (and thereby somewhat diluted) and a teacher helping to facilitate the student engaging with the subject itself. Key difference, I think.

I'll definitely remember those points from this book. The way this book made me think of certain things has already impacted things I say on the subject of education.

Glad Rev. Sunflower recommended it to me! (Or, really, placed it straight into my hands.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Courage to Teach.

May 22, 2014 – Started Reading