Lindsay Kennedy's Reviews > From Creation to New Creation: Biblical Theology and Exegesis

From Creation to New Creation by Daniel Gurtner

bookshelves: biblical-studies, review-copy, biblical-theology

This is the concluding excerpt from my full review available here: http://mydigitalseminary.com/from-cre....

Of course with books such as these, the quality and enjoyment of essays will vary. For me, From Creation to New Creation had the perfect convergence of scholars I enjoy and topics I am interested in, but the reader’s own interests will largely determine the quality of this book.

From Creation to New Creation begins fittingly for a collection of essays in tribute of G. K. Beale: with some words of praise in the foreword, preface and introduction. What struck me were the consistent claims and anecdotes that Beale’s academic work is inseparable from his passion for the church. This kind of servant-academic is desperately needed in our churches today. Speaking for myself, Beale’s writings (however much I disagree with them) have had a profound impact on me. Reading a book or listening to a lecture tends to be an overwhelming experience intellectually (as one commenter said: “pack a lunch”), but his enthusiasm is contagious. His work has not just expanded my mind but also my heart.

This book was generously provided from Hendrickson as a review copy, but that did not affect my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Creation to New Creation.

May 22, 2014 – Shelved