Maria Goodin's Reviews > Body Surfing

Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

15911906

it was ok

I speed-read the final six or seven pages, and it wasn't because I simply couldn't wait to find out the ending. I was just bored. Not so bored I didn't want to get to the end, but bored enough to just want it over and done with. And yet, strangely, I probably would give Anita Shreve another go, especially after reading a few reviews suggesting this isn't her best work. I liked the atmosphere of the book; the beach, the sea, the old house...but the plot was really odd, not to mention dull. The main character felt flat and unreal, and the relationships just didn't seems to add up. In fact, nothing about the story felt very realistic to me. There was very little explanation for the central betrayal, so that when it came about it felt false, and the relationships that fell apart as a consequence hadn't been built up enough for me to really care about their demise. The book's strength is its ability to transport the reader to a tranquil setting of sea and surf. I would give Shreve another go simply for her ability to create atmosphere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body Surfing.

Started Reading