Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power

A Call to Action by Jimmy Carter

bookshelves: audiobook, reviewcopy, read2014, activism-and-revolution

I listened to Jimmy Carter read his book on the audio version, which I got as a review copy from the publisher. He doesn't always pronounce everything perfectly, but he's Jimmy Carter!

This is an excellent overview of how religious and political restraints impact the status, health, and livelihood of women worldwide. He offers specific ideas for working toward change while also acknowledging why some change has been difficult. You can see the 23 action items on the Carter Center blog without even reading the book, and I'd recommend at least doing that.

He doesn't let the USA off the hook. He points out that Atlanta, his closest urban center, is the highest trafficking point of women in the country (these numbers are crazily high, I had no idea) and the negative impact some ultra-conservative organizations have had on women's health legislation (leaving the USA among a handful of countries to not move forward in this arena.) Most of the information is very current, with sources as recent as earlier in 2014 in use. Some of the older information was shocking, such as some United Nations documents on women's rights from the late 1970s that I had never even heard of. I wonder what the world would be like now if the countries that signed those documents had actually followed through on their vows.

Jimmy Carter's own politics and even religion do come out in the book, but I have to say I was impressed by the telling of why he left the Southern Baptist Convention after 70 years in it, based on their changing policies about women in ministry and church. Actions speak! I don't know all that much about him as a president (mea culpa) but I appreciated his plea for non-violence and abolishment of the death penalty.

Sidenote: There are some horror/dystopian novels out there right now that include tapeworm invaders but they don't have anything on Jimmy Carter's description of guinea worms, which *actually exist* and his organization has been working to eradicate it. For all that is good and holy, do not do a Google image search for them. Yeah, I couldn't help myself either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Call to Action.

May 21, 2014 – Started Reading