R.'s Reviews > A Night in the Lonesome October

A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny

Nov 22, 2007

bookshelves: 2007

Cthulhu mythos+Victorian-era Monsters of Literature trying to Save the World+Narration by Jack the Ripper's Dog, Snuff=Awesomz.

OK. So Snuff DOES talk, but only at magical hours and only to Jack. Flashes of gentle Zelzanian humor, and uncluttered Gahan Wilson illustrations give the text some air. Which begs the question: WTF is this out of print?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night in the Lonesome October.

message 1: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. A writing dog. Named Snuff.

message 2: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. Yeah. That "talking" dog? Popular in the late 80s.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.

No. Really. Thanks.

message 3: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. My sarcasm-detector is a bobblehead of Bob Saget that lights up on my dashboard.

message 4: by Don (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - added it

Don Roff I have had this tome sitting on my shelf for years -- I may just have to dust it off.

message 5: by Don (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - added it

Don Roff A talking dog narrator is intriguing indeed. I wonder if David Berkowitz has read this book yet? If so, I think the publishers missed to boat by not putting a blurb of his like "...the talking exploits of Snuff, the talking dog were like a shot that rings true. I KNOW what I'm talkin' about here." Something to that effect.

message 6: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. Don: Dust it off, and then hold tight to the book! It doesn't deserve its' Out of Printedness...it's at least as lovable a tale as, say, Bunnicula which...is...everywhere, thanks to Scholastic Books, etc.

Tracy: Speaking of demon dogs, The Shaggy D.A. scared the heck out of me as a kid.

message 7: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. Dean Jones plays a lawyer cursed to be a...shaggy d.a.

It's a Disney film.