Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > Tears of a Phoenix

Tears of a Phoenix by Helen   Noble

28206267

bookshelves: general-fiction

This is a beautifully written, easy to read novel that will suck you in from the very start. Tears of a Phoenix tells the touching story of Jed- a prisoner with a history of violence, who begins the road to healing himself, letting go of the past and working to make a better future, and making himself a better man, through psychological, spiritual and emotional understanding.
Wonderfully told through Jed's voice, this simple tale is multi-layered and expertly constructed, as it builds up Jed's history of violence and the reasons behind it, of his Ghanan ancestry, of shamanic healing and of the future he wants to make for himself.
I would suggest this book will interest readers of all genres, for its themes of self acceptance, healing and transforming, are surely universal themes that we can all connect with.
It's hard to believe this is a debut novel, as it's written just as well as, say, Alice Sebold's work. I'd highly recommend Tears of a Phoenix and I'm looking forward to reading more of Helen Noble's books.

Harry Whitewolf. (Author of Route Number 11: Argentina, Angels & Alcohol.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tears of a Phoenix.

May 21, 2014 – Shelved