Melinda's Reviews > The Sharp Hook of Love: A Novel of Heloise and Abelard

The Sharp Hook of Love by Sherry Jones

I was thrilled when offered the opportunity to participate in the book tour for The Sharp Hook of Love. Since I can remember Heloise and Abelard’s story has always painfully fascinated me. I was even more elated to learn Sherry Jones decided to write her interpretation of this celebrated couple (I was curious when a gifted author would take the leap). Heloise and Abelard, known for their love affair and for the tragedy separating them.

In my opinion their love story is the most tragic in history. Both well educated, passion driving them towards each other, sadly, divided by Heloise’s uncles’s act of pure vengeance. Jones masterfully captures the brutality and humanness of their heart wrenching story through her melodic and poetic prose expounding on Heloise and Abelard’s actual correspondence as well as the intricacy of emotion seeping through both characters and narrative. You undoubtedly feel the infinite presence of a love so profound you will be rendered breathless.

Despite the myriad of obstacles testing, intentions hell bent on destroying their love, these two forged on until vengeance played judge, jury and executioner on this resolute couple. Religion and political climate in a turbulent time period where men ruled the realm you know their love is doomed, nevertheless you are shocked by the extreme taken and nonplussed by their everlasting devotion even under the most dire of circumstances, these two scream love in its truest and purest form. Jones excelled in setting the ambiance, touching on the appropriate measure of political and religious dominance during this time. You are immersed in the climate enhancing the narrative completely.

Sketching an elaborate characterization added to the pull towards both characters equally. Heloise, highly intelligent yet playing with fire in her uncle’s home. Innocent, naieve in regards to her uncle, yet driven by love when she solicits this evil doers assistance. She sacrifices more than any human should, endlessly gives for the cause, heartbreaking to witness. Abelard comes off as cocky, cavalier, however as their tale unfolds you realize this man is sacrificing all in the name of true love. He gives of himself and much more. Jones captures the devotion and love we all hope to find in this lifetime, at least I do by her unraveling of characters.

The Sharp Hook of Love has been the best historical romance I have read this year, and I have been privileged to read quite an abundance of great books in 2014. Jones’ lyrical style, along with her brilliance to bring this memorable historical couple to life will leave you in awe – torturously pleasing, achingly beautiful. For those unfamiliar with Heloise and Abelard what a wonderful way to discover a story penned with talent and competency on Jones’ part, no doubt you are in for a real treat. Cannot recommend this tale of unfaltering love enough, bravo Sherry Jones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sharp Hook of Love.

Finished Reading