Books&Dreams's Reviews > Within Temptation

Within Temptation by Tanya Holmes

photo bookwormsreviewicon.jpg

This review was left by Marilyn a Book Worms Reviewer.
We gave this book 5 stars

----------------------------------------------------------------
WITHIN TEMPTATION by Tanya Holmes
*****5 STARS*****
A brilliantly written suspense novel, with exquisite romantic undertones.

The story of Within Temptation centers around the 12-year old murder of Lilith Bradford in the small town of Temptation, West Virginia. It deals with the people and events of then and now.

-Shannon Bradford, daughter of Lilith Bradford, the rich privileged fourteen year old who stumbled across the murder scene. Her testimony being the key to convicting Trace Dawson, her best friend and childhood crush, of the horrific murder of her mother.. She's now 26, a successful business owner, engaged to be married and seems to have everything she ever wanted.... but doubts surface and plague her about what really happened on that fateful day.
-Trace Dawson, the poor, disadvantaged, wrong side of the tracts kid found guilty of murdering Lilith Bradford on bogus charges and sent to prison. He's spent twelve years of his life behind bars losing his freedom, his humanity, most of his family and all because of one Shannon Bradford. He's angry, resentful and full of bitter rage but upon being released from prison he's back in town, on parole, and all he wants is to lie low, serve out his year of probation and get the hell out of town. But the "good ole folks" of Temptation are less than pleased that the "butcher boy" is back and make it known loud and clear.

Within Temptation is a fast paced contemporary mystery written in the POV style with many dynamic twists and turns along the way. There are cover-ups, hidden memories, betrayal, heart shattering deception and unrequited dying love. With Trace released on parole Shannon needs answers and who better to get them from but the convicted murdered himself Trace Dawson but Trace wants to leave the past in the past and wants nothing to do with this woman he hates. But........
Shannon's stubborn and persistence ways wear Trace down and he has no option but to put his bitterness to the side and help Shannon to get to the truth in the murder of her mother.. As the story progresses Shannon comes to realize that what she thought was truth is only lies and her memories are not her own. Trace is faced with the fact that the abused little girl was as much a victim and pawn as he was in this whole sordid nightmare.

Is there a light in the dark tunnel? Will Shannon be able to uncover her missing past? Can she count on her childhood friend to help her? Can Trace face down his own abusive past? Will he be able to forgive or is he too bitter and jaded to accept the truth?......................

The author did such a outstanding job in writing this story line and I was amazed to find out it was her debut novel. The way she added the sweet crescendo of romance to this story blew me away so much that I have to share (normally don't do this) a part from CHAPTER 14 - FOREPLAY in WITHIN TEMPTATION
"""We weren’t doing salsa anymore. This was something quite different. This was…foreplay. “Yeah, just like that,” he whispered. “Now slow it down and follow my lead.” His ‘lead’ was hard, long, and pressed firmly against my spine. Even so, I did as I was told, moving just as he moved, until the music wrapped around us so completely nothing but the dance existed. I closed my eyes and surrendered to the heat, to the drums, and to the hard body moving so sensuously against mine. As we slowly swayed together, Trace unclipped my hair and separated the French braid, so the locks fell freely past my shoulders. He pocketed the barrette, brushed my hair aside, and snagged a leisurely whiff of my neck."""

I hope you enjoy this story as much as I have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Within Temptation.

Started Reading