⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔ 's Reviews > The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Okay, so I ended up liking this! :) I am about 1 of 5 people on GRs who hasn't read this yet, so I figured it would be a good time to dive in. I haven't really enjoyed anything I've been reading, so maybe I am being generous, but this ended up being good! ALIEN INVASION! GAH!

I love a good alien invasion. Even though everyone has already read this, I won't spoil it, just to say that these aliens were different than your usual monster alien movie types. That made it creepier, actually.

Even though I wasn't really surprised by any of the turns and twists, it was entertaining. I like all the characters except for Cassie. God, she bugged me. I think she's supposed to be strong and kick ass, but she was whiny and contrary and although I really liked Evan, I didn't like when they were getting all lovey-dovey. She was obnoxious how she always had something sarcastic and annoying to blurt. It wasn't a "cool" sarcastic either. It made her seem shrill and insecure. Which, obviously she's insecure, but ugh. No thanks.

However, I really liked ALL the other characters. Evan, Ben, Ringer, Sams, and the rest of the squad. The story was told in a simple manner. The only thing that made this seem like YA was Cassie. Other than that, this was a good YA alien apocalypse book, even though it ended in the middle of a scene! WTH Yancey?!

I read this for the MacHalo 2016 Reading Challenge. 2. A book that was made into a movie or TV show.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 5th Wave.

May 20, 2014 – Shelved
February 18, 2016 – Started Reading
February 19, 2016 –
13.0% "This is okay, but I hope it gets better."
February 19, 2016 –
25.0% "This has gotten better, but it's hard to tell sometimes when you're in the past or present and now suddenly there's a new POV that isn't marked or explained? Kind of jerks you out of the story trying to figure out "when " and "who" you're reading, but I like it."
February 20, 2016 –
39.0% "Cassie is annoying.\n "
February 21, 2016 –
82.0% "This is getting good! But I am kind of skimming through Cassie's internal dialogue. I want to finish but I need to go to bed. :("
February 22, 2016 –
95.0% "Except Ringer never talks. So I've decided to cling to the possibility that she's missing some teeth.\n Really Cassie? You're so insecure. Can't look at or be around a pretty girl without being jealous or wishing she had flaws? *eyeroll*"
February 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Not only have I not read it, I've never even heard about it, haha.

Happy you enjoyed this one, Shelly...even if it's YA alien apocalypse:P

⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔ Thanks Sarah! :D You would have hated it. The YA romancey part esp. haha The alien parts were cool.

message 3: by Ellen Gail (new) - added it

Ellen Gail I am also one of the 5 who hasn't read it yet! Glad you liked it! =)

Jilly I for one welcome our new alien overlords! Glad you liked it Shelly! ;-)

Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ I am another of the five who has not read this. I'm intrigued.

Vanessa *the Pixie Princess* I haven't read it yet either! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™) Glad you liked it, Sh3lly! :)

You thought that was an evil cliffhanger? Wait until the ending of book 2... *evil laugh*

Kelly (and the Book Boar) This review says everything I felt.

Gator Girl ok. I'm just starting this book. I didn't want to pay money for it so had to go on a waiting list on my library's ebook list. your review is encouraging, so onward I go.