Dani's Reviews > Where There's Smoke

Where There's Smoke by Jodi Picoult

bookshelves: female-authors, fiction, ghosts, paranormal, realism, short-stories

"(...) Maybe holding something precious at a distance is the only way to measure its value..."

This is the first Jodi Picoult book that I've ever read. It was extremely satisfying.

This short story presents one of the characters of Leaving Time, Jodi's next novel. The character is Serenity Jones, a medium that hosts her own TV show. In this TV show, she does readings to people with interesting life stories. But everything goes wrong when she invites the widow of an american soldier at Iraq.

I liked how the book was honest about the war at Iraq, that it didn't picture the Americans as heroes. As stated in the book: "(...)The governtment's invading a country..." (view spoiler)

I think the start of the story was a little bit rushed. Not all of us believe in mediums and ghosts, so I think the beginning of it should have been more gradual to gain a credibility.

Although short in extention, it was extremely rich in content. At the end, everything fits in place and gives us a sense of closure. So, it can be read separately from the main story, Leaving Time.

The prose is simply but impeachable. I really liked Jodi Picoult's style and I'm looking forward to read another one of her books soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where There's Smoke.

May 19, 2014 – Shelved
May 19, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 25, 2014 – Started Reading
May 25, 2014 –
page 4
7.55% "It's not the kind of story that I was expecting!"
page 22
41.51% "I really don't believe in mediums and all that stuff, but the story is fine."
page 31
58.49% ""(...)Maybe holding something precious at a distance is the only way to measure its value...""
page 40
75.47% "At the end of this short story there is an excerpt of Leaving Time, Jodi's next novel. Now I'm excited! It's seems like an amazing and mysterious story. Waiting for October 14th!"
May 26, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: female-authors
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: fiction
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: ghosts
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: realism
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: short-stories

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Jody Picoult, I must buy more of her books, she's a very gifted author.