Ashley's Reviews > Year of Wonders

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Mar 15, 2010

bookshelves: 2010
Read from April 22 to 30, 2010

This was a really interesting, really cringe-worthy book. I always love reading about what life was like in history. The writing was good, I thought the characters were interesting, and the only thing I didn't like was the ending. I thought it was kind of weird and not really believable. The author defends this in an interview in the back of the book, but I still found it a little far-fetched.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of Wonders.

Jennifer so i have to know. i didn't get the book club edition, or whatever edition had the interview with her in the back. what reason did she give for the colossally stupid ending?

Ashley She said that it would have been completely probable considering all the people moving around at the time, and that she was willing to try a new life because of all that she had seen. I think it would be completely ridiculous to assume a woman of her means would a)ever be able to afford to get out b)ever even consider getting out c)ever end up in that situation d)ever even survive to live what she was apparently living at the end. It was just so dumb. No one was moving around like she assumes they were in the book. It was just completely improbable. I can see if maybe she had ended up in a neighboring town, but across the world? She wouldn't have even been able to fathom across the world.

Jennifer she was given money, so i understand that. however, ending up in algeria??! seriously? not so much. i was thinking spain or france, tops. that would make the most sense. but yeah... she's really stretching it.

Ashley Yeah, she was given money, but this is back when it would have cost a fortune to get as far as Algeria (and how would she have even known about Algeria?), and that is all assuming a woman would be able to survive the trip without being killed or taken advantage of or being shipwrecked or whatever. It was just so improbable that it was ridiculous.

Jennifer plus showing up in a muslim country as a female foreigner who was pregnant with an adulterous baby and just happening to get in touch with a physician who was willing to take her into his harem "in name only" and everything so she could help. i agree. improbable to the point of being ludicrous. :)

Ashley Yeah. Besides all that. :)