Kristin's Reviews > Experience: A Memoir

Experience by Martin Amis

Mar 15, 2010

Read from March 27 to 31, 2010

The writing in this book is so spectacular that it completely makes up for the fact that I wasn’t really interested in much of the content and, in fact, I suspect I wouldn’t like him very much if I met him in person. But he’s so smart, and his writing is so elegant that I don’t really care where the journey leads, I just love going along for the ride. Not a traditional memoir: non-chronological, lots and lots of footnotes, but I think it made for a better read - I really feel like I was in his head with him while he was looking back on his life, with all of the diversions and sidetracking that naturally occurs. He explains why he chose this style in the intro (I love this quote):

“The trouble with life (the novelist will feel) is its amorphousness, its ridiculous fluidity. Look at it: thinly plotted, largely themeless, sentimental and ineluctably trite. The dialogue is poor, or at least violently uneven. The twists are either predictable or sensationalist. And it’s always the same beginning; and the same ending...”

Definitely made me want to read more of his fiction that I have.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Experience.

05/15/2016 marked as: read