Karl's Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

1935255

What occurred to create Area X ? Is it an alien outpost ? Is it another dimension breaking through into ours ? The Southern Reach, the political entity in charge, is keeping it all a secret from humanity at large. Yet expeditions are put together to investigate and research it's existence. None of the previous expeditions have returned alive or have survived long after returning.

Interestingly everyone who "crosses over" must be hypnotized in order to keep them sane. The exact methodology of "crossing over" is also kept secret with no exact instructions on how to get back. They are instructed to just return to the entry point and will be extracted.

None of the characters are named other than by there occupation, as names cause a level of familiarity that the Southern Reach does not want to occur. All members of the crew are instructed to "watch each other". The leader of expedition twelve uses hypnosis to control all the other members of the group. All four members of expedition twelve are women.

Our protagonist has joined the expedition as her husband was part of a previous expedition and things did not end well.

This was a most enjoyable book if one enjoys traveling into the unknown, unknown on all levels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

May 17, 2014 – Shelved
May 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 29, 2014 – Started Reading
June 2, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Bookwyrm What did you make of this? I absolutely loved the first half/two thirds, the final bit was good but didn't live up to the build up. I'll read the second one soon, looks like it goes off at a tangent.

Karl I had no problem with the ending part of the book. I believe it's part of the set up for book 2.

Bookwyrm I didn't have a problem with the ending at all, I'm happy for there to be no explanation and resolution. I just felt the "sighting" didn't quite live up to the build up.

Karl Dewi wrote: "I didn't have a problem with the ending at all, I'm happy for there to be no explanation and resolution. I just felt the "sighting" didn't quite live up to the build up."

There was so much mental manipulation going on with all the characters that there ability to report things had been questionable to me from the beginning of the story, Was it hallucination or mind control or hypnosis or suggestion. So much was unclear as to what "really" was going on. I think book two may shed some light on some of the events that occurred.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael After reading your comments I think I will not get the book, I love VanderMeer but wow this looks like it is so boring, thanks all for the reviews!

Karl Pam wrote: "After reading your comments I think I will not get the book, I love VanderMeer but wow this looks like it is so boring, thanks all for the reviews!"

-- There are lots of books out there to temp your reading whims, if I gave the impression that this book was boring, I need to seek guidance in the selection of adjectives and to choose my words better, cus that is one word I would not use to describe this book. --

Carmen I thought this book was amazing. Great review.

message 8: by Ill (new)

Ill D Aliens are real.

William Movie:
The New Yorker's review of the movie

message 10: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl William wrote: "Movie:
The New Yorker's review of the movie

very disappointing, sadly. It's released here in London next week. Have any of you seen it yet?"

-- Have Not seen the movie however did enjoy the first book in the series. I would take "The New Yorkers" opinion with a bit of caution, after all, it's "The New Yorker". --

William I love The New Yorker, and it's an educated, careful and considered review. I just hope they're wrong.

message 12: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl William wrote: "I love The New Yorker, and it's an educated, careful and considered review. I just hope they're wrong."

-- Sadly over the years I have gotten the impression that "the New Yorker" has a tendency to 'look down' on genre topics. They do tend to have funny cartoons sometimes .. my wife subscribes, --

MeaganCM Great review! I didn't enjoy this book so much. It was good, but not great. I really enjoyed Borne and expected to love this but....it just didn't do it for me. I have the second book and plan to read it soon. Maybe this book will be better. I really want to see the movie. My co-worker saw it and it sounds like it is vastly different from the book.

message 14: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl Meagan wrote: "Great review! I didn't enjoy this book so much. It was good, but not great. I really enjoyed Borne and expected to love this but....it just didn't do it for me. I have the second book and plan to r..."

-- Most movies based on books don't follow the book as a matter of movies are usually made by committee, and the books are single creator. I personally don't even try to compare them any more because they are aimed at different audiences and different senses. A good book will create a good movie in your individual mind. --

message 15: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth I thought the audio book was somewhat boring.

message 16: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl Beth wrote: "I thought the audio book was somewhat boring."

-- Who was the narrator ? --

message 17: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Karl wrote: "Beth wrote: "I thought the audio book was somewhat boring."

-- Who was the narrator ? --"

Carolyn McCormick I think??

message 18: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl Beth wrote: "Karl wrote: "Beth wrote: "I thought the audio book was somewhat boring."

-- Who was the narrator ? --"

Carolyn McCormick I think??"

-- Does she read the book or is it dramatized ? --