Becky's Reviews > Danse Macabre

Danse Macabre by Stephen King

bookshelves: owned, non-fiction, horror, 2011, highly-recommended, reviewed

This is what my copy looks like after finishing:
Photobucket

There was so much inside that head that I just wanted to remember, or come back to, or... just highlight. I could have done all of that on my nook, and it would have been easier. Simpler, less restricted as to what I could fit onto the post-it, but... I dunno. This way just felt right to me.

There were a lot of references to books that I hadn't read yet, and these sections I tried to skim so that I could get the idea without the spoilers, but that wasn't always possible. I do hate spoilers, but I can't hold it against King too much, I knew that was a possibility when I picked this up. One doesn't read an examination of the horror genre without expecting examples... and I'm just NOT that well read to think that I would've read every book he might have mentioned. Not by a loooooooong shot.

But the books that I have read, I now have a new and deeper appreciation for. King sees things in such a different way than I do, and so getting his perspective is fascinating.

Highly recommend reading this.

PS. Support your local used book stores! :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danse Macabre.

March 13, 2010 – Shelved
October 29, 2011 –
page 25
October 30, 2011 –
page 32
6.9% "I had to go out and buy little post-it markers for notes and stuff because already there are lots of things that I want to remember about this. Interesting stuff."
October 31, 2011 –
November 25, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
November 25, 2011 – Shelved as: highly-recommended
November 25, 2011 – Shelved as: reviewed
November 25, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Maciek This is a very good study of the horror genre, albeit a bit dated (It was published in 1980). As with King, he included many personal experiences and anecdotes which make this very readable. Would love to hear what you think.

Trudi LOL! As soon as I saw you were reading this I thought oh noes! all the spoilers :) --It is very spoilery, but it's King, so what are you gonna do? Lucky for me, I have a horrible memory, so even when I read spoilers I always forget soon after!

I love that pic! but if you get a chance, pick up the 2010 edition Danse Macabre because it has a new essay in it called "What's Scary".

message 3: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery This book looks so much more badass in book form than it would on an e-reader. I like King's style when he writes nonfiction. All the asides and backstories he tells add so much to it. I agree with Trudi that by the time I get around to reading the books he references, I'm sure I'll have forgotten most of the spoilers. I loved all of his stories in On Writing but I totally forget a lot of the spoilers for books of his I've yet to read.

Becky Nicki wrote: "LOL. Are you sure there's enough post-its there Becky? I think it could've used one more. ;)"

You're right... I could have fit some on the bottom! ;)

(There are actually post-its on the top edge too, you just can't see them. LOL)

Rachel Do the colors mean anything or are they just random?

Becky Just random... Whichever one I grabbed first. :P

Rachel Ah, thought you might've had a system going for the things you were marking. Not to make you all OCD :)

message 8: by Felina (new) - added it

Felina Damn Becky! Now I want to read this.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri Quote from Becky's review
PS. Support your local used book stores!

And support Post-it note makers everywhere. There must be a world shortage now. ;)

Becky Supply and demand... I'm doing my part. ;)

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri haha! Making the economy strong again. :D

message 12: by Leland (new) - added it

Leland You've certainly inspired me to bump this further up mount TBR.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my all time favourite book as well

message 14: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Ohhhhh I really want to read this. I just started reading Shirley Jackson and heard he discusses her work a bit in this.

Becky He does... I'm not a big fan of her work, though. So far everything that I've read of hers has left me feeling kinda "meh."

message 16: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Becky wrote: "He does... I'm not a big fan of her work, though. So far everything that I've read of hers has left me feeling kinda "meh.""

Have you read The Lottery and Other Stories? That's all I have read so far of her's and yeah it's a mixed bag but when she is good she is good :P

Becky I've read The Lottery, but not the collection, just on its own. I've also read The Haunting of Hill House & We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Wasn't really impressed with any of them. :(

message 18: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Becky wrote: "I've read The Lottery, but not the collection, just on its own. I've also read The Haunting of Hill House & We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Wasn't reall..."

Ah well if you didn't like The Lottery on it's own I wouldn't bother with the rest of the collection cause that is kinda the best one in it.

Becky Good to know. I will say that many people like her, but you know me, I'm kinda critical sometimes, and I think that I had way too high of expectations so I was let down by her stories.

message 20: by Kirstie (new)

Kirstie Becky wrote: "Good to know. I will say that many people like her, but you know me, I'm kinda critical sometimes, and I think that I had way too high of expectations so I was let down by her stories."

Yeah I can be the same sometimes I need to try and keep low expectations before reading something. Usually when everyone says something is great I'm left disappointed.

I like her but with alot of older writers I need to keep in mind the time she was writing and such. However she was quite easy to read which was nice. The worst thing about alot of older texts is when they are painfully cryptic.

Bonnie I like the way your book looks.. reminds me of mine! I don't have all the post-it notes in there now, but I've had them on and off. I looked up every reference Mr. King gave, (or just about) and also a lot of the terms he used. I'm fairly well read, and have a good vocabulary, but I learned a LOT from reading this book. Have also bought a couple of the books he spoke well of, and am going through those. "The Third Level" is a great little anthology of short stories. OLD but still good. "Danse Macabre" was written in 1980, I think.. it is a little dated, but still an excellent reference for the genre in which King writes (and I sometimes read). Well worth the time to study it!