Jay G's Reviews > What Happened to Goodbye

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

liked it

After her parents divorce, Maclean Sweet has found herself moving constantly. She has been in 4 different towns in the past 2 years. Using a different name at every new school she attends, Maclean reinvents herself after each move. So, when she arrives in Lakeview, and goes to pick a new identity, she is surprised when she chooses Maclean. Now, making new friends and falling for a boy, Maclean is learning to accept herself and learn to not run away when things get real.

Dave is such a sweetheart! I really enjoyed Opal and Deb as characters. Riley and Heather were also great! Maclean however, fell short for me. I found her to be dull and boring.... Maclean's Dad made me laugh but her mom drove me insane at times. One thing I love about Sarah Dessen books is that she includes characters from her other books into her new work and I love finding them in the story!

As a basketball player, I loved the basketball concept in the book - BUT - when the basketball net is constantly called a basketball goal it made me cringe so hard....

I found the pacing of this book to be a bit slow for my liking and it took a very long time for things to actually happen. I liked how Maclean and her mother's relationship developed in the story and how they learned to compromise and accept each other in the end.

Overall, the book was just average, not one that will stick with me for years to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Goodbye.

May 16, 2014 – Shelved
May 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 17, 2017 – Started Reading
page 107
page 252
page 314
75.48% "It actually bothers me so much that they call a basketball net a basketball "goal" ... WHY"
May 17, 2017 – Finished Reading