nicole's Reviews > Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Obert Skye

Nov 21, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: 7up, quests, orphans, fantastical

The cover is sort of metalic and features a pastel-colored Gremlin. So uh, basically, I didn't expect to like this. I thought it would be way too high fantasy for me... and while I like illustrated texts, these were semi-manga inspired and totally embarassing to be seen looking at on the PATH train. But right away, I was really impressed with Skye's descriptions. He writes well. He's quirky (a big positive), and funny. And once I got over the Harry Potter comparsions (orphaned brunette boy with a distinguishing mark at the top of his head living with an aunt who abhors him and treats him like a servant, but is destined for greater, more magical things... yeah, it's hard not to), really original. I loved Geth! I read some other reviewers thoughts on him. Some people don't think a soul trapped inside a toothpick makes for a great character, but I disagree. He was funny and I liked seeing how he'd turn up. Reading about him forging himself arms and ears by running into things on the floor of a dinner was actually one of my favorite scenes. *shrug*

So, positives: Great descriptions, funny (or weird, anyway) and maybe the only story in print that has a toothpick for a main character.
Negatives: Sabine was totally generic. The book, which should have been a quick read, took me over a week because I was so bored by Sabine. I actually put the book down EVERY TIME I had to read about him. Even if I could see that it was only going to be a paragraph of two about his "evil doings" I couldn't bring myself to skim it.

There are three books in the series so far, but this can stand alone. I'm interested to know what happens next, but not racing to get my hands on the sequel. Definitely going to recommend it to lots of 9 year old boys.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo.

message 1: by Lucy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Lucy I am pleasantly surprised by this review. S&S publishes (or distributes?) these books, so I snagged a copy, but I haven't read it yet, because it looked too...fantasyish. And I LIKE fantasyish. But if you say it's good, I'll give it a try, one of these days.