Dale Harcombe's Reviews > Capturing Clouds

Capturing Clouds by Leigh Hay

May 15, 2014

bookshelves: 2014-aussie-author-challenge

I enjoyed so much about this book. To start with it is beautifully presented. I love the cover artwork and the title. But of course that is not enough reason to love the book. I enjoyed taking my time to savour the poems. The contrast in A Block from Punt Road between ‘the traffic worms pulse’ and the busy car choked scene with the ’winter wash of blue’ and ‘latticed branches litter the sky’ and ‘loquacious birds ‘is very effective. Add to this the mournful sound of the cello and the poem resonates with colour and sound.
I loved Dance Card with its pictures of autumn leaves. The simple illustration at the beginning of this poem is perfect, as are many of the other black and white illustrations scattered throughout. Sometime it was individual phrases and lines that caught my attention like ‘conversations pepper pockets of space’ in Sustenance.
The poems are visual and sensory with mostly interesting use of imagery. The picture of a child playing in Tools of Imagination is simply captured. The last Saturday in September gives the juxtaposition of a woman feeding the magpies in the park with that of the umpire and the footy grand final going on at the MCG. I chuckled over the wry humour about time in Attention Seeking and relished the visual feast of colour that included ‘the flame trees fire’ and the ‘Jacarandas bevy of bells’ in Grapefruit Butter. Basically I could have kept going taking phrases that appealed out of nearly every poem.
This is a joyous collection of poems, yet not without its reflective sad moments which I could associate with in Missing a Daughter. I loved the irony of the title poem as it pokes fun at business methods of the times, and brings attention back to what is important. For those who appreciate poetry this is an enjoyable and satisfying collection of poems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Capturing Clouds.

May 15, 2014 – Shelved
May 15, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 23, 2014 – Started Reading
May 23, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-aussie-author-challenge
May 30, 2014 – Finished Reading

Anne Hamilton Looking forward to seeing what you thought, Dale.

Dale Harcombe Might be a little while. I'm a few reviews behind at present.

Nola I like it too. It was a nice uplifting collection.

Dale Harcombe I agree Nola.