Markus's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

bookshelves: fantasy, 2014, post-apocalyptic

"The warrior rides a black stallion. Smoke shrouds the castle ruins behind him and the wind gives only glimpses of the corpse-choked gap between high and broken walls. That same wind streams long dark hair across his shoulders, like a pennant, and flutters the remnants of his cloak. To his left and right more riders emerge from the fog of war, warriors all, their armour dented, torn, smeared with soot and blood."

Honourous Jorg Ancrath, the Prince of Thorns, has become a king in his own right, and from the fortress of the Haunt, he rules the Renar highlands. But the crown is a heavy weight to bear for the eighteen-year old king.

His life at the Haunt is plagued by nightmares of the atrocities he has committed, he finds the diaries of Katherine of Scorron, the only woman he truly wants, and the raging pain of his dark past is almost overwhelming. At the same time, young king Jorg faces his greatest adversary yet; Orrin, the Prince of Arrow, who has united six kingdoms beneath his dragon banner and who is preparing to make a bid for the throne of the Broken Empire itself...

Originally, I was going to give this book three stars, as it started out really slowly. Jorg had apparently become full of doubt and regrets, and didn't seem like the brutal, care-free antihero of the first book. The story also lacked a lot of the drive, and I began to think that the magic Mark Lawrence worked in Prince of Thorns was ebbing out of the story. I'm happy to say I was wrong.

The longer I got into the book, the better it turned out to be. The story was constantly improving, the supporting characters were way better than in the first book, and even though the story of King of Thorns is told in three different periods of time (making parts of it a bit confusing), the narrative is still remarkably well written. Then there is the ending, full of shocking twists and surprises, and the best part of the series so far. Ultimately, this is a solid sequel that truly lives up to the high standards set by Prince of Thorns, and skilfully sets the scene for the conclusion of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

May 15, 2014 – Started Reading
May 15, 2014 – Shelved
May 18, 2014 –
page 322
71.71% ""It helps to have the elephant of surprise on your side.""
May 18, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Ctgt I liked this the least of the three books. It jumped around so much that it was a bit too disjointed for me.

Glad you liked it. Are you going right into the third book?

Markus Since I haven't read Emperor I can't take a stance there yet, but I do agree that the first one was better. In the beginning, this one couldn't even keep my concentration, but it improved so much I really felt it deserved the four stars.

And no, unfortunately, I pre-ordered a new paperback version of the third book which is due for release in a week, so I probably won't get it for like 10-15 days. So I'm gonna read it soon, but not yet ;)

Kenneth Geary I really enjoyed the series as a whole too. I'm looking forward to Prince of Fools

David Sven I think I liked this one better than the first. I thought the writing was a bit more polished. The structure, though a bit sloppy, still appealed to me - 3 story arcs - past, present, and whatever was in the box.

Markus Kenneth: Indeed, let's hope the second trilogy matches the quality of the first one!

David: I get your point. I think the setup with the different story arcs was one of the best parts about this book, but I just liked Jorg and his story better in the first one.

Anirudh I loved that parking sign scene :D

Markus Anirudh wrote: "I loved that parking sign scene :D"

Even though I normally hate postapocalyptic settings with a passion, I must admit that some of the remains of the old world are what makes this trilogy this awesome.

(view spoiler)

Anirudh Even I hated the sci fi element in the first book. But now I really like it. Its a unique twist :-)

Markus Anirudh wrote: "Even I hated the sci fi element in the first book. But now I really like it. Its a unique twist :-)

Yes that scene is what I spoke of in my review. Very unique. It was a good bad ugly moment :-D"

Indeed. It reminded me a lot about that scene in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark :D

Anirudh Haven't seen that movie :-)

Markus Anirudh wrote: "Haven't seen that movie :-)

But Yes it was so surprising :-D I really liked that ending. It suits his nature. And the prophecy was fulfilled too after the duel :-D"

Here, watch this:

It's one of my favourite movie scenes ever.

And yep, considering who the main character of the Broken Empire is, that ending was perfect.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Markus Keith wrote: "Like the review pal I'm on to this one next,I loved the first one so looking forward to this despite other people saying it jumps about abit. Regards keith:*)."

Thanks! Overall, I think this one was actually my favourite in the trilogy.

message 14: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Great review, Markus. :)

Markus Thank you, Carmen! :)

message 16: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Nelson Great review, this one was my favourite, the supporting cast made it entertaining all the way through, which was where Emperor failed a little.

Komal You have a very appeasing writing style, Markus. This book was the best in the trilogy, for me.

Markus Going through all my reviews now, as notifications were turned off on a lot of them. Sorry about that, guys!

Paul wrote: "Great review, this one was my favourite, the supporting cast made it entertaining all the way through, which was where Emperor failed a little."

Thanks, Paul! I completely agree. Emperor fell a bit short for me too.

Komal wrote: "You have a very appeasing writing style, Markus. This book was the best in the trilogy, for me."

How kind of you to say, Komal :) It was the best for me as well.