Vickie's Reviews > #zombie

#zombie by Al K. Line

it was ok
bookshelves: zombies

This was not the worst zombie book that I have ever read, but there are quite a few issues that I had with this book. If I had paid for this book I would have been very disappointed but since it was free on Amazon I gave it a little more leeway.

Firstly, for some reason the author feels that he has to beat you over the head with certain points. How many times do we need to be reminded that Ven and Kyle are unlikely friends? According to the author COUNTLESS times!

Secondly, there is a point in this book where the autjor breaks down the wall between writer and reader and actually ackonwledges the reader...wth? There are novels where the author speaks to the reader, which is fine, but in those books it is an ongoing theme, not an isolated incident out of nowhere. This is, in my opinion, is a HUGE mistake.

Thirdly, We get how connected we all are to the internet from the get go as the author cites many examples of our dependency and addiction to technology...and then proceeds to repeat the same points again and again and again *sigh*.

Lastly, the characters in this book partake in FAR too much conjecture. They go off on legnthy tangents about things that have just happened and why it happened and what they should have done. The frequent internal recaps of things that have just happened brings whole chunks of the book to a stagnant and repetitive place. Show us, through action and reactions how the characters are reacting to the environment, do not tirelessly explain their feelings!

On a positive note, the idea is a fresh and interesting take on the whole zombie nation thing and has much potential. I particularly enjoyed Ven's sister as a character.I think that in a few years when the autjor has gained some more experience these errors will correct themselves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read #zombie.

Started Reading