Anne's Reviews > Golem in My Glovebox

Golem in My Glovebox by R.L. Naquin

F 50x66

liked it

I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting to find a fun and amusing read. I did get a decent urban fantasy read filled with a ton of different supernatural characters including some that must have been inspired by Pixar movies (closet, attic and under the bed monsters). The only character that got much page time was Zoey, our main character and Griswold, the golem. Riley, the reaper, and Zoey's main squeeze is there, but he basically assists her.

I have not read the other 3 books in the series and while I didn't dislike GiMG, it did not make me interested enough to look up the other books and see if I wanted to get them. If I saw one sitting on the library shelf, I'd probably read it and give one more a shot.

The plot is very simple. Someone has kidnapped all the Aegis (not 100% sure what they do (they have different skills)and why they are so important)except for Zoey. The kidnapper is killing them, leaving notes for Zoey, so it's a scavenger hunt to find them. Unfortunately Zoey isn't very good at the hunt. She races off to each new location, arrives too late, returns to the Covenant base, gets sent off on the new trail, arrives too late, returns....you get the point.

I'm sure the readers of the first three books get a bit more out of this story than me because they're probably invested in the characters and having a few favorites pop up is interesting, but for a new reader, there was nothing to capture my attention and involve me with the characters. I did like Griswold, a Pinocchio type character and his story on how be became what he ended up, including the portion where Zoey and her mom assisted him.

So, if this series sounds interesting to you, I would recommend starting with book 1 and take it from there. This book, while not bad, has nothing really to recommend it to new readers.

I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golem in My Glovebox.

Started Reading