Philip's Reviews > Date with a Sheesha

Date with a Sheesha by Anthony Bidulka

A good read and IMHO the best in the series so far. Again I think that to really appreciate a series you should read the books in order and I think that is pretty obvious here because, for an example, despite all the backstory info provided there is no way a reader can understand the significance of Sareena without having read almost all of the previous books. I also think that the Quant stories are much better when the major part of the story is centred in an around Saskatoon and not in some foreign place. Sure have the foreign travelogue but, as in this book, make sure the real story, motive and resolution is in Saskatoon! There was a pretty good twist to the conclusion that a reader should have been able to see coming, a few disappointments (Ethan??) and some loose ends which I hope are leading into the next book in the series. There are, as is usual in the series and particularly in the foreign travel sections, a few disconnects such as how, after the long agonizing off road car ride in the desert, followed by the long camel ride and then the chase on camel back, when they were dumped off the camels they walked right back to the parking lot in a very short time? Of course one just has to suspend disbelief and just read for the entertainment and escapism! Russell's mother "Kay", as she has been in the whole series, is included in my list of fabulous characters introduced in mystery series ranking right up with Louise Penny's "Ruth Zardo", Ted Wood's "Sam" and Hilary MacLeod's "Jasmine"!
One rumour I hope is not true is that the next book, #8, in the series is the last. Anthony - Please say it isn't so and bring on some more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Date with a Sheesha.

May 14, 2014 – Started Reading