Grace's Reviews > The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason

The End of Faith by Sam Harris

Mar 12, 2010

bookshelves: for-fun, religious, multi-reads, philosophy

Many people pick up The End of Faith because they think it is a book about or for atheists. Be warned: It is definitely not. It is a call to arms against irrationality, blind faith, and dogma of every kind, including those found in atheism.

While Harris unrelentingly points out the faults of religions, he also points out the downfall of lack of reason, and how this lack of reason brings about the worst possible in the human species. In the end, Harris talks about the benefits of being conscious in the moment. He also talks about the ability to be spiritual and connect with others without the irrationality that dogma tends to show.

The End of Faith was put on my to-read list long ago, but I'm such a slacker when it comes to reading philosophy books that it took me nearly two months (half of the time on vacation) to read through this book. Harris's writing style was very academic. The text was perforated with endnotes which constantly distracted me as I hunted them down. To that end, I lost half the content of the book in my mind and couldn't really "connect" to a lot of what Harris was trying to say. That being said, I think I'll read the book again sometime and try to really engage in the argument at hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Faith.

March 12, 2010 – Started Reading