Alison's Reviews > Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Nov 20, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: rgbookclub

David Sedaris is messed up! I can't even begin to tell you, you'll just have to read these Christmas stories on crack and find out for yourself.

Holidays on Ice is a collection of six short stories all wrapped up in a black Christmas bow. They are dark, sarcastic, evil, irreverent, funny, real, revealing, and sweet.

SantaLand Diaries recounts Sedaris's experience working as a Christmas elf in Santaland at Macy's in Manhattan. He encounters overzealous, self-centered, and racist parents. He flirts with a fellow elf to learn later that he's a bit of an elf-tease ("Snowball just leads elves on, elves and Santas. He is playing a dangerous game.") He observes human nature in all of it's narcissistic, misguided glory.

Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family is a suburban mom's Christmas form letter. She updates her loved ones on her trials of the past year spiraling into a dark (O.K., pitch black) and unexpected ending.

Dinah, the Christmas whore is by far my favorite story. "From this moment on, the phrase ho ho ho would take on a whole new meaning..." It reminds us that there are more layers to people than meets the eye...including moms, sisters, and prostitutes. In a style specific to Sedaris, it celebrates family connection.

Front Row Center is one man's review of local children's Christmas productions. Mean, biting, and funny. Sedaris says what he wants to, and we don't really care if he's kidding or not.

Based Upon a True Story/Christmas Means Giving go to the extreme to satirize man's greed, arrogance, and need to compete. His in-your-face story telling makes you want to be a better person...lest you're the subject of his next parody.

This doesn't deserve five stars, or even four. It's great fun, but short. Sedaris is definetely twisted and talented, but I can't give this the same amount of stars that I would dish out to a true classic novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays on Ice.