Will M.'s Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

20408288

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi, crime-mystery-thriller, 2015

Curiosity could be a powerful distraction

When the 12th expedition planned on further investigating the mysterious Area X, things started to get weird again. The team was comprised of a biologist, anthropologist, surveyor, and a psychologist. This expedition proved to be just as dangerous as the first 11. Will this one finally be the successful one, or will it be the worst one of them all?

Annihilation received a huge amount of buzz and positive feedback over the past few months. I've also been seeing it in bookstores lately so I finally decided to give it a try. While this one sounded a lot like Michael Crichton's Sphere, I liked Sphere a million times better than this. I'll be a bit honest and say that my liking of Sphere affected my expectations for this novel. The premise was not that different, but the execution was.

The premise was really promising. Area X seemed nothing but a mystery to me, and obviously that was what the author was trying to portray. I liked that idea, but honestly I was clueless not till the last 20% of the novel. It took me that long to finally realize what was really happening. I liked the overall plot, but I was expecting better execution.

The novel was very detailed and vivid about what it wanted to portray. One example would be;

Velvet ants and tiny emerald beetles crawled over them. The tall pines, with their scaly ridges of bark, rose on both sides, and the shadows of flying birds conjured lines between them.

The writing was really good. I can't complain about that.

The main thing that I hated about this novel would be the terrible lifeless characters. None of them was good enough to be liked. I honestly didn't care if all of them died, even the boring ass main character. While the plot was decent, the characters ruined what little left of fondness I had of the novel. I'm very glad that the next novel would have a different set of characters. I'm hoping for redemption for this trilogy.

I almost forgot to add in that the secret in the end was not that bad. I was expecting something cheesy but I liked it in a way. Not really a plot twist, but it was a good revelation nonetheless.

3/5 stars. Decent plot, really good writing, but terrible character development. I'm still giving the next novel a chance. I'm really hoping the characters would be a lot better there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

May 14, 2014 – Shelved
July 6, 2014 – Shelved as: crime-mystery-thriller
May 12, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
May 12, 2015 –
page 95
48.72% "Not as awesome as I was expecting, but still pretty good. Hoping for more revelations to come."
May 17, 2015 –
78.0% "Almost stopped reading this because of a certain dull part, but thankfully things got better."
May 18, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Melki I liked this one more than you. There was just something about the nameless female scientists that grabbed me. BUT, I wish I had stopped after the first book.

Alejandro Glad to see that we shared similar appreciations about this struggling book ;)

Michael Jensen Terrible, lifeless characters is exactly right!

message 4: by Conor (new) - added it

Conor Nice review amigo. I've heard a lot about this series so it's interesting to get your take on it. Doesn't really sound like my thing but it's still on my TBR... somewhere.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Very well said, Will.